Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I currently have the rear d35 and am going to order an sye kit with driveshaft for it .. But am wanting to do an 8.8 swap in the future when money allows .. Are the yokes on the d35 and 8.8 the same size? Or will I need a new driveshaft ?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
You can order the 8.8 with a matching forged yoke as your driveshaft or go the adapter route. I believe the 8.8 has a flange connection(stock). I ordered mine through east coast gear supply and it was pretty straight forward. Install the sye, measure for new driveshaft and order. You shouldn't have to do anything when you get the 8.8 other than an adapter. I went the forged matching yoke to eliminate extra pieces, just a preference.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Are you referring to u joints? If so you need an adapter flange. YJs use 1310 u joints that fit into a yoke, but the Ford 8.8 has a flange setup for the driveshaft.

ECGS has an adapter for sale with included hardware. Amazon also has the flange for sale. I'm ordering from ECGS only because I also need spring mounts and that's who sells them. These adapters are very small, so I am not too worried about them shortening my driveshaft too much. Maybe with a SYE, the stock driveshaft will be the correct length. That's something where every Jeep is different

Be sure you look up u joints on a parts site or two to verify your u joint yoke diameter. Then look up the u joint type that fits it. Mine was 1310. Here is a site for that.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
What year explorer is best to get the 8.8 out of? Sorry about hijacking the thread.
Axle tag codes.

Todd,

If you are putting in a SYE and new driveshaft at the same time as the 8.8, I would recommend seeing how much extra money it would be to use bigger u joints.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts