Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just about to pull the trigger on a East Coast Gear Supply 8.8 TJ swap..The value is excellent!

Had a couple questions for those experienced with this swap...

I know the axle is just about 1" narrower than factory 35 is...I run a 18x9 wheel with a 35" tire...these tires are really wide and I was worried about rubbing issues... Although I know spacers exsist, I would rather not use them. Any suggestions? Think I will clear ok?

Also, if you have done the swap, have you run into any hang-ups as far as brakes/ebrakes? Pinion Angles and what not?

I have a 6" long arm, SYE and Woods shaft installed already, and I believe ECGS's swap already comes with the brackets to set the angle pretty close to what it needs to be...

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
26,916 Posts
I put one of their 8.8s in my rig. Bolted right in. :thumb: I replaced the stock uppers with adjustable uppers at that time because I did a tummy tuck and sye with a Wood drive shaft at the same time. The brackets will be very close on pinion angle, but you still need to be able to fine tune the angle. I would expect any long arm kit on the market to come with adjustable arms, so that shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put one of their 8.8s in my rig. Bolted right in. :thumb: I replaced the stock uppers with adjustable uppers at that time because I did a tummy tuck and sye with a Wood drive shaft at the same time. The brackets will be very close on pinion angle, but you still need to be able to fine tune the angle. I would expect any long arm kit on the market to come with adjustable arms, so that shouldn't be an issue.
Thanks for reply..The kit does have fully adjustable CA's. Brand new Heim joints to boot! I think its the way to go!
What about tire clearance on the tub?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I put 1.25" spidertrax spacers on my 8.8. I have 35x12.50s on 15x8" wheels and they were very close to touching the rear upper spring perchs without the spacers, with any ammount of flex they would have been rubbing.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put 1.25" spidertrax spacers on my 8.8. I have 35x12.50s on 15x8" wheels and they were very close to touching the rear upper spring perchs without the spacers, with any ammount of flex they would have been rubbing.
Thanks-Ill be looking into spacers... :(

·
Registered
746 Posts
Thanks-Ill be looking into spacers... :(
Needing spacers will depend on the width of the rims, width of the tires and backspacing on the rims. You may need them, you may not. I currently have an 8.8 in my wifes TJ and it does not rub with 15x8 rims with 3.75 inches of backspacing and 12.50 wide tires.

·
Registered
26,916 Posts
Needing spacers will depend on the width of the rims, width of the tires and backspacing on the rims. You may need them, you may not. I currently have an 8.8 in my wifes TJ and it does not rub with 15x8 rims with 3.75 inches of backspacing and 12.50 wide tires.
This is my exact setup. I forgot to mention that in my earlier post.

·
zombie & ninja slayer
2,276 Posts
ive got no spacers and a 33's on 15x10 rims with no rubbing, getting ready to get 35's after the new engine goes in

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
5" backspacing on 18's, I'm not home to look at it but I'll bet it's cutting
It close. I'll scope it out and see where I'd be with an inch cut off. It already buries these 35's pretty deep in the well... So maybe and maybe not. Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Be aware that spacers may make your vehicle fail state inspection if you have state inspections.
Luckily, I live in Good Ol' Arkansas....and we aint got no stinkin' inspections!
If it starts and runs, you can tag it! Thanks for the heads up anyways....I consider us Arkansans fortunate...those emission tests and inspections are such a pain arent they?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
If money is not a huge concern then check out the super 88 c clip eliminator kit. This will add over an inch to the width of the axle and get rid of the c clip axles.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I am just about to pull the trigger on a East Coast Gear Supply 8.8 TJ swap..The value is excellent!

Had a couple questions for those experienced with this swap...

I know the axle is just about 1" narrower than factory 35 is...I run a 18x9 wheel with a 35" tire...these tires are really wide and I was worried about rubbing issues... Although I know spacers exsist, I would rather not use them. Any suggestions? Think I will clear ok?

Also, if you have done the swap, have you run into any hang-ups as far as brakes/ebrakes? Pinion Angles and what not?

I have a 6" long arm, SYE and Woods shaft installed already, and I believe ECGS's swap already comes with the brackets to set the angle pretty close to what it needs to be...

Thanks for the input!
Hello -

I have a F8.8 / HPD30 from ECGS. Been in almost two years now. I run a 15x10 rim on 35x13.50 tires. No wheel spacers and no rubbing at all on the spring purch. I do have an adj rear track bar, but it was still centered before I added that.

I ran my 8.8 with my stock drive shaft and stock uppers for a few months. I had bad vibrations. I then added adj uppers and new sye/ds and the vibrations went away. Since you already have an sye/ds/adj uppers you will be good to go.

The E-Brake cables they give you hook right into the stock locations, no issues there.

Yes, tell ECGS how much lift you have, and they will weld the brackets to that specification for the pinion angle.

Call and ask for Chase before you order, he is the owner and will point you in the right direction. He is an unbelievably super nice guy. They are by far, the nicest guys I have ever ordered any thing from.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello -

I have a F8.8 / HPD30 from ECGS. Been in almost two years now. I run a 15x10 rim on 35x13.50 tires. No wheel spacers and no rubbing at all on the spring purch. I do have an adj rear track bar, but it was still centered before I added that.

I ran my 8.8 with my stock drive shaft and stock uppers for a few months. I had bad vibrations. I then added adj uppers and new sye/ds and the vibrations went away. Since you already have an sye/ds/adj uppers you will be good to go.

The E-Brake cables they give you hook right into the stock locations, no issues there.

Yes, tell ECGS how much lift you have, and they will weld the brackets to that specification for the pinion angle.

Call and ask for Chase before you order, he is the owner and will point you in the right direction. He is an unbelievably super nice guy. They are by far, the nicest guys I have ever ordered any thing from.
Hey man I really appreciate this!
I am ordering first thing in the morning...I will ask for Chase.
Sounds like it will be a pretty easy procedure then...Ive got everything I need to make it "right"

Thanks for all the input folks!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
If money is not a huge concern then check out the super 88 c clip eliminator kit. This will add over an inch to the width of the axle and get rid of the c clip axles.
x2, that's how I'm hoping to fix the width problem on mine. It's an expensive kit, but it sounds to be worth the money; it was actually designed/created by Blaine from Savvy aka Black Magic Brakes on the forum.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
So Matt is it safe to assume that the 8.8 made it to your house without falling out of the back of your Jeep yesterday :)

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Lol, yeah it made it just fine. Didn't even leak any oil, and I managed to lug it into the garage by myself without causing a hernia. Thanks again, it looks great. Can't wait to get it under the Jeep.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Just finished the install of my ECGS 8.8 last weekend. VERY IMPORTANT!! What rear track bar are you using? If it is a Currie TB or any TB that measures more then 1 3/4" wide at the lower joint it will not fit without cutting and spreading the axle TB bracket. Chase will widen the bracket if you need it. I got lucky, the day my axle was ready to ship from ECGS I found a post were a guy was trying to install his TB and it wouldn't fit. I contacted Chase and he modified the bracket.
The parking brake cables installed perfectly as mentioned above. It's a nice unit, you will be happy with it! :thumb:
Originally I thought about buying a J-yard axle and doing it myself but after adding up all the parts (ARB, new gears, bearings, forged yoke, new pads/rotors, brake shoes, brake cables & bracket kit) then finding a shop to weld it together the savings would have been minimal.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
The bracket widening issue is definiltely something you need to think about if you're using a TB that has a JJ in it. Solman did a great job with mine:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Just finished the install of my ECGS 8.8 last weekend. VERY IMPORTANT!! What rear track bar are you using? If it is a Currie TB or any TB that measures more then 1 3/4" wide at the lower joint it will not fit without cutting and spreading the axle TB bracket. Chase will widen the bracket if you need it. I got lucky, the day my axle was ready to ship from ECGS I found a post were a guy was trying to install his TB and it wouldn't fit. I contacted Chase and he modified the bracket.
The parking brake cables installed perfectly as mentioned above. It's a nice unit, you will be happy with it! :thumb:
Originally I thought about buying a J-yard axle and doing it myself but after adding up all the parts (ARB, new gears, bearings, forged yoke, new pads/rotors, brake shoes, brake cables & bracket kit) then finding a shop to weld it together the savings would have been minimal.
Can you post a pic of your TB and bracket? Just curious to see how it looks.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts