Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I just happen to have a 99-04 Mustang GT rear end laying in my shop. I measured it and it's 62 3/8" flange to flange including rotors, stock TJ rear is 60 1/2" total that's 1 7/8 difference total. I was looking at the thread on 8.8 swap and it said the mustang rear axle was too wide. I'm thinking that less than a inch on each side isn't gonna be that big of a deal. the Explorer rear that is recomended is narrower by about the same. The Mustang rear has disc brakes, limited slip, and the right lug pattern. Just gotta change the gear ratio to whatever I decide. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
lIt looks like some Mustang axles are 31 spline, and if not can be upgraded. I should think an axle that can handle drag racing torque should be able to handle crawler torques.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-31spline-88-carbondisc.html

Application Note: 1986-2004 V8 Mustangs came factory equipped with 28 spline axles, except for 2003-2004 SVT Cobras which were 31 spline. All 2005 and newer V8 Mustangs come equipped with 31 spline axles.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Valid point, I would check the spline count on that 8.8, if its only 28 spline I would not go through the work just to have something a tiny bit better then a d35

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Don't underestimate the amount of torque your Jeep can put down in 4wd low... As an example my Jeep, using peak output of 222 ft/lb from the 4.0, first gear ratio of 3.83, np231 t-case in low (2.73), and 4.88 gears, that's a peak of just under 6000 ft/lbs at the axle. If you consider a newer 4.0 that has a rated output of 235 ft/lbs, and TJ with a 241 t-case, and nsg370 that number jumps up to just over 10,000 ft/lbs at the axle.

Consider a new Mustang GT which has a peak torque output of 400 ft/lbs. I don't know the exact gearing but if I had to take some guesses first is probably is in the upper 3.xx range and the deepest axle gear offered is likely 4.10. With a 3.8 first and 4.10 axle, that's just over 6,000 ft/lbs at the axle.

When I say at the axle I mean after gear reduction of the axle, torque at the shafts depends on the type of differential and traction.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys are right most of the Mustang GT rears are 28 spline I'll check this one maybe I'll get lucky, I'm not exactly sure what year it's out of. I just know it's 99-04 GT, It's a yard rear we got for a project and ended up not using it.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
My point was if some Mustangs come with 31 spline shafts then you can buy 31 spline shafts to fit that housing & tube length.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
03-04 Cobras have IRS. That would be an interesting swap. Lol.

I was wondering the same about swapping a newer Mustang rear over. 05-up.

I think I'd rather have the rear a little wider than narrower like the Explorer rear

·
Registered
332 Posts
to be fair, most newer (i think starting in like 2005?) mustangs are 31 spline. And the 28 spline is stronger than a d44 (I know sacrilege) when rated by warns COT and MOT ratings.

So is it slightly better than a d35, well if by comparison a d44 is slightly better than a d35 then yes. But to the original point is it worth the time and money to make it fit a tj? Probably not for most people when its usually easier to source a explorer 8.8 thats 31 spline vs a 28 spline mustang. Since yours is free (i'd assume) and laying around, it could be a viable option if you think it's worth it.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
This was my thought too. Although my 8.8 is already about 70% done so it'll be spacers for me.
Oh, I'm not knocking it at all. I am riding on spacers right now with my 30/35 setup. Lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts