Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum with very little knowledge about engines. I have a 1980 CJ 5 with the inline 6 cylinder and 250K miles on it. It's my son's first car. We thought there was an oil leak from the rocker cover and replaced it last night. Today, he drove it to school and texted me that he can drive it becuse there is smoke coming from under the hood. I went to get it and started to drive it home as i did not see any leaks. Half way home, the engine started rattling very bad so I pulled over and popped the hood. There was smoke coming from the Camshaft seal area, behind the fan.

Any ideas on what I am look at here. Money is tight so a new engine is not possible. Can anyone assist?

·
Super Moderator
11,096 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Dshenenberger,

The first thing that comes to mind is the timing chain. If you don't have a service manual, get one.
If you Google "Bishko Books" they might have a Factory Service Manual on CD in the $40.00 range. If you can find a Chilton's manual for CJs that would be a handy addition to a Factory Service manual.
If you can't find a CJ service manual, a YJ manual might be a usable alternative. 1987-1990 YJs used the same engine (with some emissions additions) and many of the drive train parts are the same or similar.

Let us know what you find.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
60,922 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Registered
532 Posts
I cant recall if the 80ies come with the plastic valve cover that was notorious for warping and leaking. Either plastic or metal, its easily possible that new gasket slipped and oil is running onto the exhaust manifold causing the smoke. The rattle.... You need to verify you have oil pressure before going any further or you will destroy the engine. if you lost the oil pump the valve trail will clack like crazy as the lifters collapse.Shortly after you'll get metallic knocking as the bottom end goes away. Do you have a oil pressure gauge in it, does/did it work or read anything when it ran?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts