Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 1983 CJ7 (4.2L V6). I'm currently deployed, however before I left for my deployment the running lights and Dash lights quit working. I live in Hawaii, and safety is already a pain. Anyways, one day I went through our security gate, and when I pulled the knob to turn my headlights on, that's when the dash lights and running lights went out. I've already checked the fuses, and I've already replaced the dimmer switch. Are there any other suggestions on how to fix this? I heard rumors that it could be one bulb in the dash? Is there a different fuse I could have missed? I have to have it fixed as soon as I get back because it's my vehicle to drive... Thanks for the help! I only get to drive it for a few more months before I'm going to have to sell it. Along with this, I know I'm going to probably need a new battery and altenator when I get back since it's been sitting, is there anything else I should replace?

·
Registered
38 Posts
First , thanks for your service to our country. I also am a vet. (1966-1970 Air Force), I still have my cj7 that I bought in 1981, and I believe all the running , marker and tail lights are all fed from the dash light switch. I have a factory manual that covers a 1980 cj and when I find it I'll look at the wiring diagram. When you say it has brake lights to you mean only when the brake pedal is pushed? Or to you mean the rear tail lights that should be on with the headlights? I think back then if your dash lights went out it was an indication there was an issue with the brake lights not working. If that's the case check the fuse for the brake lights .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your reply! My brake lights do work, It's just the running lights (the lights like you said, are on with the headlights don't work). The dash lights and the running lights don't. But when I press the brake lights I believe they work. I haven't been home, but I will check when I get back, which is relatively soon. I want to install an EZ wiring harness, but I don't have much experience with wires on cars other than audio, are they that difficult to install? Especially since the jeep barely has any wires?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts