Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm about to pick up an 84 CJ with a 4.2L. I wished I snapped a picture of the motor but I grabbed this one from wikipedia and highlighted the hose that's missing.

4.2L.jpg

The motor has an after market carb on it (as well as headers) so maybe it's disconnected because it's not needed? is there some legitimate reason why the PO would have it disconnected?

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a follow up question which may seem silly. what kind of hose would I buy for the replacement? do I need something special? I found where it connects to on the carb but I don't know the type of hose I need to pick up. thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can use heater hose or vacuum hose nothing special.
Awesome. I figured but just wanted to make sure. After digging a little more in depth I'm not certain where I thought it should be connected is the right place. I took pictures and will post them shortly. I just want to be sure I don't screw this thing up. My experience has primarily been with fuel injection unless it's on a lawn mower :lmao: I need to hook it up somewhere though cause it wreaks of fumes with this hose disconnected.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ok yeah mine hooks up to my intake manifold but my jeep is also a 74 cj 5 with the 232 inline 6 but yeah as long as there's as what ever you hook it up to has vacuum to that line you should be fine you might be able to T into another line

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's the pics of the actual motor. As you can see, the breather housing is questionable. Seems like if I replace that with a more stock version that should have a connector for the vacuum line I need. There is this T, however, and I'm wondering if I can just stick it there...

IMG_3462.jpg

Here's a close up of the carb:

IMG_3464.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Since your air cleaner doesn't have a place to connect that hose to, you can just put a small air cleaner filter on that elbow. I've got a similar setup on my '81, and it works fine.

The idea is that clean air enters the crankcase through the elbow in the back (from the air cleaner), and gets sucked through to the other end of the valve cover, where it gets pulled back out through the pcv valve. If you can't hook it up to the regular air filter, a small one (ten bucks from O'reilly's) attached directly works just as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts