Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have an 85 cj7 with 4.2 and 4spd t176 trans . When I driving and if I let push the clutch in to coast/slow down I get a nice humming noise from my rear end pretty sure it's a bearing but my question would be which is most likely the culprit? It happens in gear clutch in or when I'm in neutral. Thanks for the replies.

·
Administrator
12,487 Posts
Not sure what to tell ya, i will assume it a model 20. I would guess and this is a big guess its doing it in neutral the pinon bearing... but not sure..

also are you sure its not just the a clutch issue?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea it does it if I just let off the gas and don't touch the clutch, if I push in the clutch , and if I shift into neutral and let the clutch out the only difference is when I put I take it out of gear I don't hear it transfer through the driveline and can only hear it in the rear end...

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Probably pinion bearings so you might as well do the carrier bearings and axle bearings while you are in there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I went through this same problem , did you change your lift ?if you did i would bet it's a drive line vibration due to an increased angle, when there is no load on the drive line it ls able to rattle a bit, add a load and it stops . a bad rear end would always make a grinding or squeal sound .

·
Registered
218 Posts
Rear axle noise on deceleration is almost always a bad pinion bearing or really bad preload. The slack lets the pinion go rearward too far. The first question I would have is if the yoke was changed out with the driveshaft replacement? That axle uses a crush sleeve and once used it should be replaced to get the proper bearing preload with a new yoke.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts