Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used Ford Ex. 8.8 Rear disc brakes on my 86 CJ7 Dana 44 rear

1 I had to elongate the holes side to side
2 use teraflex spaces for axle shafts
3 redrill holes to 5 on 5 1/2 and center hole
4 add 1/4" spacer inside the rotor.
5 TJ Rubicon wheel studs
6 TJ Rubicon combo valve + one adt on brake line
7 use saddles for Ebrake cables
8 modify Ebrake shoes to clear the studs

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
what's the benefit of disc vs. Drums? I think it would be a good idea for new brakes in my old thing... I already replaced brakes lines and rear cylinders but that's all i could do at the time

·
Registered
186 Posts
Right off the bat you get benefits stopping in wet conditions. You also get much better emergency braking with discs vs drums. And I feel a bit more control over your stopping which can make big differences. Also if you have bigger tires then discs can help quite a bit. I plan on doing thebdisc swap for my AMC 20 once I get the single axle shafts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
yea that sounds worth it... I would definitely have a lot of research to do before getting into that though. Most I've ever done was change brake pads lol . And what do you mean by AMC 20? You need different shafts to change brake over brakes?

·
Registered
186 Posts
No, but the AMC 20 which is the stock rear for my 85 cj7 has notoriously weak two piece axle shafts. I just wanna do that upgrade at then same time as putting disc rears on my AMC 20 axle.

·
dirt road inspector
3,006 Posts
I replaced the two piece axes with Warn axles with locking hubs so I could flat tow. Also stitch welded the tubes to the diff housing. The hubs would not take the torque generated by the 401 V8. I did replace the front D30 with a D44.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts