Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just wondering should I buy 87 10% ethanol or 87 no ethanol the price difference is 34c per gallon and why should I buy one over the other. Also do you guys have the bully dog tuner for 91 or 93 octane.

·
Registered
15,694 Posts
When you replace pure hydrocarbon with alcohol OH group the addition of oxygen is partial burn so less energy available so mpg falls

Also ethanol is hard on internal parts and makes gas less stable making it harder to start after gas gets old

Ethanol is crap in gas put there to enrich farmers and buy votes but not to help your engine

If it was not mandated politically it would be far less common

The corn lobby is pushing even higher alcohol content even though they know it is bad for our vehicles they just want the money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I use ethanol free as often as possible. It's getting more common at gas stations here in Utah. All of my gas engine vehicles run better (sound, power, idle) and get about 2-3 mpg better. The parts in your vehicle that touch the fuel will last longer as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
932 Posts
If you are looking at it from a purely economical standpoint, the increased fuel economy of pure gasoline does not justify the increased price over gas with ethanol. Newer engines use materials designed to cope with the more corrosive nature of ethanol infused gas. With that being said, I’m not aware of any comprehensive studies that show whether or not an engine running ethanol free gasoline has better overall longevity or longevity of components than the same engine running gas with ethanol.

I certainly agree that the federal mandates for gasoline with ethanol is nothing more than a political move to decrease dependency on foreign oil and increase GNP by using more domestic corn. I once read though if there was a push to move all vehicles to E85 that there is not currently enough farmland in the US to sustain our current fuel consumption and last I checked, we can’t make more land.

·
Registered
15,694 Posts
Not to decrease oil dependence just to buy off the corn lobby

Look at a pre ethanol 20 year old steel fuel tank and one that used ethanol add fuel the corrosion difference is extreme

If ethanol gas was as good as they claim it is it would not need to be subsidized and could compete in free market

Before ethanol you could store dirt bike for winter and not have spring starting issues same with lawn mower and snow blower

The only people who like ethanol are brain dead global warming chicken littles, corn farmers and politicians
And the greenies have shown what they want to happen to your engine with the cash for clunkers destroy old engines with abrasives scheme we all watched unfold

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Not to decrease oil dependence just to buy off the corn lobby

Look at a pre ethanol 20 year old steel fuel tank and one that used ethanol add fuel the corrosion difference is extreme

If ethanol gas was as good as they claim it is it would not need to be subsidized and could compete in free market

Before ethanol you could store dirt bike for winter and not have spring starting issues same with lawn mower and snow blower

The only people who like ethanol are brain dead global warming chicken littles, corn farmers and politicians
And the greenies have shown what they want to happen to your engine with the cash for clunkers destroy old engines with abrasives scheme we all watched unfold

Are you trying to make this political and insulting people at the same time?

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Around me the best place to find ethanol free gas is the marinas. I believe boaters do not run ethanol fuel. There is only one station near me that is not near a marina that sells regular gas. Ethanol is only good for corn farmers.

Personally, I like corn just not in my gas.

·
Super Moderator
6,804 Posts
Around here ethanol free is hard to find and when you do find it the price is around 90 cents higher. There is no way I would pay nearly a dollar more a gallon to put fuel in a vehicle that burns 20 gallons every 300 miles or so. I am not that rich. Sure, the non-ethanol gasoline will give you slightly better fuel mileage, but the improvement will be under 10 percent better mileage. So as soon as the difference in price is beyond 10 percent it no longer makes sense economically to use it. Around here it is mainly used in old vehicles (older than 20 years old) that were not built to use ethanol or lawn equipment which, despite ethanol being in gasoline for over 20 years around here, is sometimes still not made to handle ethanol in fuel.
We have had ethanol in our fuel, as mentioned, for a long time. I have run it in a variety of motorcycles and cars. It has not destroyed any of them yet.
As to the politics of it, I am not touching that one with a 10 foot pole.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
ALL our 87 gas is 10%. :( Gotta buy 91 for the pure stuff.

If I could get 87 without alcohol, I'd use it. If you're paying 43 cents extra per gallon... Cost wise, it will only make a difference of about $5 - $6 per tank.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I can get 89 octane without ethanol at the local Sunoco station. It is, however close to $0.50 a gallon more. I use it in my chainsaws and in my 1970 John Deere tractor.

Reactions: Hilock

·
Registered
129 Posts
Moonshine is for drinking not for vehicle fuel. I’m lucky enough to have a local station that sells ethanol free 87 octane. It’s .40 more per gal than the E10 but i pay the extra .40 for the 100% gasoline. Ethanol is bad news.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Definitely ethanol free. Ethanol is bad for engines. Also, I am an outdoor guy and vast amounts of wildlife habitat have been plowed up to plant corn.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
From a pure cost perspective and leaving the political out, my Jeep basically sees no significant MPG difference between the two. However my Durango Hemi loves high octane non ethanol versus the alternative. I have seen MPG as high as 23mpg with 91 non ethanol.

·
Registered
79 Posts
When my 2017 JK was new I was seeing a small difference in MPG using WAWA 91 non ethanol. I ran long term test last summer again using WAWA 91 non ethanol and if there was a difference in MPG it was so small I could not see it.

My main objection to ethanol from corn costs about $1.74 per gallon to produce, compared with about 95 cents to produce a gallon of gasoline. That helps explain why fossil fuels and not ethanol are used to produce ethanol. Think about that, fossil fuels are used to produce ethanol! The growers and processors can't afford to burn ethanol to make ethanol. U.S. drivers couldn't afford it either, if it weren't for government subsidies to artificially lower the price.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts

I live in SD currently (Meth. We're On it.), the local populace - as red as they are - love ethanol because it's welfare for farmers. (Here) It's also more often than not more economical once you run the numbers. Nevertheless I run ethanol free when I can because of reason mentioned above.

·
Registered
60 Posts
ALL our 87 gas is 10%. :( Gotta buy 91 for the pure stuff.

If I could get 87 without alcohol, I'd use it. If you're paying 43 cents extra per gallon... Cost wise, it will only make a difference of about $5 - $6 per tank.
Same here.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I live in SD currently (Meth. We're On it.), the local populace - as red as they are - love ethanol because it's welfare for farmers. (Here) It's also more often than not more economical once you run the numbers. Nevertheless I run ethanol free when I can because of reason mentioned above.
Love how this can be a red/blue thing. "Ethanol is terrific" Donald Trump.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts