Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1987 2.5 l Wrangler and it starts very well every time but my headlights don't seem very bright and my Amp Gauge is always pegged out for approx. 10-15 min. After starting it but drops down to around 14, can my Alternator still charge my battery but make my headlights dim? I've checked the ground it seems fine. Thank you.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
. I have a 1987 2.5 l Wrangler and it starts very well every time but my headlights don't seem very bright and my Amp Gauge is always pegged out for approx. 10-15 min. After starting it but drops down to around 14, can my Alternator still charge my battery but make my headlights dim? I've checked the ground it seems fine. Thank you.
Cont: also my interiour gauges seem to have dimmed.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Check for bad cables , replacement cable ends and loose grounds from the body to frame and body to engine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
And check the voltage at start up and after things settle down and the engine is warm to ensure there isn't an anomaly occurring with the voltage regulator... or other element of the charging system. Just my 0.02 :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check for bad cables , replacement cable ends and loose grounds from the body to frame and body to engine.
ok thanks for responding , all the ones I've checked look good. I haven't found a frame to body ground. Have any idea the area it suppose to be in? I'll have to get under there and look. Its Just weird if my Alt. voltage regulator was takein a shit I'd think my battery would suffer.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And check the voltage at start up and after things settle down and the engine is warm to ensure there isn't an anomaly occurring with the voltage regulator... or other element of the charging system. Just my 0.02 :)
yea I'd do that but I don't own a meter, guess I should by one. I like to fix stuff myself but looks like I might as well take the Alternator off and get it checked. At least eliminate something.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts