Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 87 with 240k miles rebuild done @ 200k I bought it just a week ago and since I have replaced air filter pcv filter new manual fuel pump, ( 4.2 motor)
I was having hot start issues prior to replacing the air filter and pcv filter I ended up pulling the PVC air tune out and it just sits in the engine area now due to oil getting in the filter I just changed the oil and my pressure runs about 30 in idle and just over 40 while going 45mph I put the manual file pump in due to the old one not pushing fuel ( had good suction) I am thinking of doing the motorcraft 2150 carb kit sold by erhmapp on eBay but wonder if I should stick with the electric choke or go to a manual choke...I have had some choke issues during start but only on cooler days.. Any more info you need please ask

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry about the poor spelling on the other post. I did it on my IPhone which is in poor shape. So here is a redo.
What I've got-
87 with a 4.2 everything looks stock. Bought the Jeep a little over a week ago with 240k miles was told rebuild was done on motor @ 200k miles.
First few days I noticed that if I parked on an incline I was having problems starting the jeep hot. I checked out the Air filter and it was oiled up heavily, had oil sitting in the pan, and the PCV air filter was nothing but oil. I cleaned out the entire pan, replaced the air filter, pcv filter, and was told by the O'reilly's guy I need a PCV valve where before had just been and elbow. (After getting a schematic I figured out that the elbow was my PCV air intake.) Fixed that issue immediately, but noticed that I was now getting oil in my PCV filter again. The oil pressure gauge shows running at about 30 @ idle and from 40-60 going down the road. Last Wednesday I picked up my kids from daycare pullled out of the parking lot and immediately had to pull into the next drive. After a few hours of tinkering and some fussy kids. I replaced the manual fuel pump due to the old one sucking in fuel but not pushing fuel to the filter. I have had some issues (intermittent) with the choke (electric) keeping the carb closed. Causing start problems (weather doesn't seem to affect).
What I want to know-
I am looking at going to the Motorcraft 2150 kit sold by erhmapp on ebay. My question is should I go with his manual choke setup or stay with the electric choke? Also has anyone bought off this guy he has tons of good reviews and promises PDF step by step guides as well as tech support. Should I go with the HEI along with the new carb or stick with what is there. I see no signs of a Nutter job on this jeep. She runs like a top when she's running but does seem to run hot although the temp gauge tells me differently.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have an 87 yj also, I just ordered the same kit your speaking of, I believe it will be a great improvement, I've already nuttered mine . I would replace the thermostat to. See if it's causing your overheating problem, I'm running a 160 degree one in mine and it's doing fine. As for the choke problem, I am going to run a manual choke on mine also. You might wanna change the fuel filter if you haven't done so already....if its dirty you will have a hard time starting too.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Oh yeah, I also found that the gauges on my 87 are not really that reliable. I replaced the fuel tank and the sending unit, both new and my gas gauge still doesn't work properly. I'm thinking that Im gonna upgrade all of them.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
If you are going to replace the carb, you have to either do a nutter bypass or get an HEI distributor. Since you are taking away the computers ability to adjust the carb, it will try and compensate by adjusting the timing constantly. And will lead to problems with running and idling.

I replaced my carb with an MC2150 many moons ago, but didn't know about the nutter bypass. Always had tons of trouble with idle and not starting when hot. Blamed the carb.

Ended up doing a total rebuild on the motor and switching to an Offenhauser 4bbl intake. Put new 4bbl on it and had same problems with the not starting and rough idle. Went to an HEI distributor, and problems are gone.

The correct thermostat is a 195*. And never trust the YJ gauges, they aren't much better than idiot lights. Very poor design.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts