Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok this should be simple for jeep experts i have a 87 jeep wrangler 4.2 liter and only thing im trying to do is get engine specs for the 4.2 and 4.0 h.o so i could see the difference in power i tried browsing google but i must not be looking in the right areas so i was wondering if u guys have a website that you get ur info from that could possibly link it for me..... thank you

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
google 4.0 high putout. wikiup has info

·
Registered
35 Posts
google 4.0 high putout. wikiup has info
If you are trying to decide on what to buy, I think the choice is easy..FI 4.0! I have the 4.2 Nutter bypass, new carb, HE ignition and wishing I had the 4.0 Don't get me wrong, the 4.2 is a great motor but the 4.0 is better. I know some guy's will say "no my 4.2 will smoke a 4.0....." but if we're talking pretty sock Jeeps, one with 4.2 and one with the 4.0....I would take the 4.0.

This is from a guy with an 87' wrangler 4.2..

·
Administrator
12,548 Posts
The 87 4.2 has around 130hp the HO 4.0 has @190 fuel injection of course.. heck the non HO version had around 175hp or so. If you planning to swap it in.. and have the BA10 5 spd.. you will want to swap in a new tranny as well. as the BA10 is rather lacking. Not sure if your t-case will work either.. 87 and 88 YJ's are kind of the black jeep of the YJ line.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i was thinking about dropping in a 4.0 h.o with an ax-15 trans but im gonna have to stick with the peugeot trans for the time being

1 - 7 of 7 Posts