Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi. new to the forum. i was hoping if someone can help me out. i have an 87 wrangler that i got used . every tonneau cover i bought from quadratec,rampage, bestop,etc. never seems to fit despite it claiming it is meant for an 87. the roll bar never matches up to the openings. my roll bar is bent inward towards the back. it doesn't follow the side of the jeep straight like on a 90. i have seen other pics of 87 jeeps n the roll bars are straight. so I'm confused about whether or not my roll cage is stock or if it was replaced.i tried to contact rampage n bestop but got no reply. so here i am. i have had a cj7 n a 90' in the past but the roll bar was straight. so-? n e help would b really appreciated.thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
you have the 92 and newer family roll cage in the rear.. hence the reason it might not be fitting...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
holy shit 4jeepn! finally someone gives me an answer!haha. i have asked everyone n no one seems to offer n e help. so thank u very much for the info. so, is it poss then that someone replaced the whole roll cage? also, if i order a cover, or hard top, should i b buying it for a 92'? or is the "family" roll cage something different entirely. sorry for all the questions but since u r the only person to give me a glimmer of hope with finding out what i got in this jeep, i need to ask them all.hahaha. thank u again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes a lot of people replace that roll cage, just bolts right up. A hard top will fit from a cj7 and jeep wrangler 87-95. Soft top or bikini top are 92-95 for family roll cage. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Not positive but I wouldn't say it a pos because of that, it's just that some including myself like the safety aspect of a family roll bar sinse my kids ride with me all the time. It seems to me the only thing you gotta do is buy your soft tops that are ment for 92-95 from now on. Sure someone will correct me if I am wrong haha

·
Registered
742 Posts
I have a stock 87 with the sport bar and of course that's not it. Only thing is for some reason that still doesn't look like the stock family bar that came in later models. Just looks a little disjointed for some reason. Maybe it's just me.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I have a stock 87 with the sport bar and of course that's not it. Only thing is for some reason that still doesn't look like the stock family bar that came in later models. Just looks a little disjointed for some reason. Maybe it's just me.
That got my curiosity up so I went out n looked and as far as I can see it looks the same as my 94

·
Registered
742 Posts
I just thought the bars that connect from the windshield to the roll bar looked all wrong. Maybe it's just the angle of the pic

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank u everyone. this is so great! this helps tremendously. i recently dropped $3000 to change my whole fuel line to make it "california legal" which kind of annoyed me bc i wanted all the original parts. now that i know the roll bar isn't original, it makes me not feel so bad. haha. esp that everything ,basically, on this jeep has been changed out bc of the previous owner. he claimed he was a "mechanic" n he had all the wrong parts for the wrong year. most of the engine was rigged with everything from the wrong hoses, held together with zip ties or parts that shouldn't have been used. he obviously had no idea what he was doing. so. i had to change a lot already. my last step was to buy a hard top. so now i can buy with confidence. thank u all again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts