Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a jeep frame from a guy in my town in illinois and have been building it up over time. I recently ate all the gears up in my diff and along with my pinion but the ring is still good. it has a dana 44 in it and i dont know what ratio it is...how can i tell? im only 21 and this makes me feel boot when i dont know something. can anyone help?

i like to drive this vehiclle on and off road. it has a 350 in it and what would be the best way to go with replacing the differential, ring, and pinion? and remember im military so i need to find the cheapest way to do this.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Doesn't matter whether or not your one gear is good and the other is bad. They're machined pairs and NEED to be changed together, every time. Ring & pinions always get changed together or you'll just wear them out prematurely, which is also why you never see 4.0 gears, or 3.0 gears, it's always 3.07 or 4.11. That ensures the gears teeth aren't always hitting the same gears and they wear evenly and last longer. The ratio is also sometimes stamped on the edge of the ring gear itself, or at least the tooth count.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts