Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 87 yj with the 4.2 engine. I have a no start problem (no spark) that I have narrowed down to the ignition stator in the distributer. I have a replacement unit, but my question is , how do you remove the sensor under the rotor? Is there a special puller to get it off the shaft? Is there another way to pull it ? I hate to by special tools that I will only use once! Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
7,064 Posts
You should only have to take off the fork that holds the distributor in place and be able to pull it up iirc I went hei so the coil is on top of the dizzy.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Remove the cap, remove the rotor cap, and then being very careful to not touch or damage the shaft, use two screwdrivers to pry the trigger wheel off, pull the drive pin. Then do what ever you need to do inside and put it all back together! Good Luck

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
OH, or buy the tool you will use One time to pull the trigger wheel! Over the last 30+ years I've changed about 8 or 10 on Fords and still don't have a puller. LOL
I'm just never going to need it again! lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help Nubby. It slid right off with 2 screwdrivers. Replaced the stator and it fired right up. Total time to replace it: 15 mins, no busted knuckles and not a single cuss word!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
i have spark and fuel but still no start ive heard the stator will cause the injecters to malfuntion is this true cuz i think it might be my prob. 92 renegade 4.0

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure about that. My yj has a carb., not fuel injected. I did have a Grand Cherokee once that was fuel injected, and had a similiar problem. I ended up replacing the crank sensor and that fixed it. Search on youtube for a repair video that shows how to do it. It cost me about $35 for a new sensor, and took about 10 mins to do the job. No special tools were needed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts