Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 87 wrangler that had 6" wide flares with side step and side molding. I want 6" flares with the extensions. I bought rugged ridge but they required body trimming which I don't want tot do. then I got Omix ADA flares but they didn't come with spacers and all the mounting hardware and thy didn't fit very well(flat). anybody know which extended width flares fit without having to cut the body? My old flares are in pretty good shape but faded. Can I repaint/dye them and just buy new extensions? Anybody have experience with this? How does paint/dye hold up?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Try some black shoe polish or flexible paint designed for automotive trim. I've never tried it personally but will if the time comes.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
My buddy has his linexed on his TJ. Turned out really slick and they have held up well...Probably going to have mine done too.

·
Super Moderator
12,929 Posts
The biggest problem in painting plastic is cleaning the old plastic. This is especially problematic with grained plastic.

What I would do is wait until my wife is out of the house and take all the plastic parts into the bathroom and scrub them in the tub. Use dishwashing soap.

Then take them outside (be sure to clean up the tub area) and wash them again with ammonia detergent.

I think Home Depot has paint that claims it will stick to plastic. If you can find plastic adhesion promoter, I would spray a thin coat of that on before painting.

Show us a pic when you are done.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Rust oleum has fender spray paint just for this. I used it over a year ago and have had zero issues. Didn't expect it to hold up as well as it has but was willing to take the $7 risk. So far has paid off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I may try painting them. If I mess them up well I'm looking at buying new ones any way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts