Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a half door 87YJ that needs a top w/half door uppers.

:confused:What is different about the 86CJ and 87YJ half doors?

:confused:Will TJ or newer YJ doors fit a 87 YJ?

It seems that these models are limited in top options because of the doors.:banghead:

Any suggestions on what has worked for you?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just went through the same thing. Tough problem to solve on a low budget. It's 2 degrees here in Wisconsin today and the Hard top was free so one way or another I was going to make it work and work cheap....

Stock YJ soft tops take square rear corner soft uppers on half doors
Stock CJ/YJ Hardtops take a radius corner soft upper.

I bought a set of Tj soft uppers on ebay which have the radius top corner you need and fit the opening but the pins don't match the holes in the YJ hard half doors. Three ways to sove this.

1. cut the furthest rearward pin off and live with a loose fit.
2. Bend the rear pin inward to clear the inside door liner
3. cut the pin. shorten the horizontal leg of the pin and re weld.

I opted to just bend the pin in until summer when I could cut and re weld it. Then I found a set of Yj Hard doors for $200 and all the problems went away.

I have the soft uppers for sale for $100 but shipping them to you would cost too much. Put a "wanted" ad on craigs list. you would be suprised how many parts are lying around in peoples garages that they don't use.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks chainlake,

I think my problem is solved. the 86/87 half doors use snaps to hold the uppers and the 88-up use a rail for the upper to slide under. the PO of my 87 put these on:

So I can use the 88-up uppers. :dance:

·
Registered
95 Posts
With just looking at it, I would say your are proably right. My 95 uses the "track" hold down just like that with only one snap at the very forward corner just infront of the mirror.

Try to find a buddy with the later years YJ uppers and test fit. Then you won't end up with a door collection in your garage like I did

1 - 4 of 4 Posts