Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have just come into possession/started working on an 87 yj. It is producing a strange noise from somewhere in the engine bay when the positive battery lead is jostled. The engine also does not crank. Could be related could be not be I do not know, hopefully someone on here can help me. Also this engine is the 4.2L amc 258.
Thank you in advance for any help,
Keenan
YouTube video with sound:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sounds like your battery doesnt have the charge to engauge the starter OR the starter solenoid is stuck/shot, or lose connection on the starter..

·
Super Moderator
10,631 Posts
What's the condition of your cables? Are the battery terminals clean and are the connections secure? If the cables show any sign of deterioration I suggest you replace them.
dwtaylorpdx offers good advice too. I'd check the cables first and then go on to the starter & solenoid. Post again if those suggestions don't help.

Let us know what you find.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
40 Posts
FWIW ,, I've never been disappointed in new battery cables especially if I jump up a coupe sizes to bigger wire..
You can hear the cranking speed is faster.. The other problem is the oil from a filter change tends to run down the motor and drip on the starter.. Doesn't help anything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts