Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to straighten out almost 30 years of wire splicing and vacuum line rerouting and I've got a few things that I don't understand. Hopefully someone can help. I don't think it's been nuttered because I replaced the ICM and there was not splice in the old one, unless the splice is before the plug in the engine compartment. There's a ton of wires and vac lines, so I'm inclined to think it's not nurttered. It does have a Weber carb, though.

Does anyone know what these plugs are? One looks like it'd go to the distributor, but that's all hooked up and running. I have no idea about the other one. Also, I think this third pic is the oxygen sensor, but I thought the Webers didn't need one. It looks like it's been spliced as well, and not plugged in like I'd expect.

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump

Super Moderator
Kinda hard to tell from the pics, but here is what I think:
Pic 1 is to oil sending unit
Pic 2 --can't tell from the pic
Pic 3 O2 sensor. I agree. Looks like it has been spliced. It might have been replaced and the PO tore the connector off the engine wire harness.
The original carb was a Carter BBd and used the O2 sensor.

The above may or may not be accurate, but it's the best I can do from the pics. Try to take a different pic of #2.

Good Luck, L.M.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kinda hard to tell from the pics, but here is what I think: Pic 1 is to oil sending unit Pic 2 --can't tell from the pic Pic 3 O2 sensor. I agree. Looks like it has been spliced. It might have been replaced and the PO tore the connector off the engine wire harness. The original carb was a Carter BBd and used the O2 sensor. The above may or may not be accurate, but it's the best I can do from the pics. Try to take a different pic of #2. Good Luck, L.M.
Thanks for the reply. I'll try to get a better pic for you tomorrow. Follow up questions: why would the oil sending unit be unplugged? Can I remove the wire, or is there a repair that needs to be done? Can I remove the O2 sensor since I've got the Weber, and if so, what do I plug the hole with?

Thanks!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, here's a couple better pics. First, I've got two new angles on pic 2, with the rectangular plug.

Auto part Fuel line Automotive fuel system Wire Tire

Wire Electrical wiring Cable Fuel line Technology

Next, I've got another angle on pic 1. My oil sending unit is plugged in and working correctly so I'm still not sure about this one. The PO has coiled it up and taped it to a hose. I'm not sure why he'd do this and not just remove it. Do you think it could be anything other than a sending unit plug? If not, any reason not to remove it? And finally, is there any reason to keep the O2 sensor since I've got Weber?

Wire Fuel line Auto part Technology Electrical wiring

Thanks.

Super Moderator
When I first saw the plug in pic 1 of the first post I thought "Oh, A/C plug", but then it was so close to the oil filter, I decided it looked like the plug on the oil sending unit.
I went out to look at my Jeep and am now sure that the plug in #1 pic is to a air conditioning pump if you had A/C. It should have 1 green and 1 orange wire. If you don't have A/C, just leave it tied up and ignore it.

The plug in pic 2 goes to a gizmo that is mounted on the valve cover with a couple screws. I think it is called a upstream/downstream selonoid.
Since you can't find where that plug goes, I am inclined to guess the up/downstream solonoid is missing. If it is missing I am inclined to guess that your Jeep is nuttered.
You state that you replaced the ICM and there was no splice between the box and the plug. That is an indication that the jeep isn't nuttered. If you are having issues with timing, you should do the nutter. Since your computer gets no signal from the carb (no stepper motor on the Webber) the computer will try to adjust your timing.
If your area deosn't require emission testing, just do the nutter and get rid of some more junk.

Now, get yourself a Factory Service Manual. Either buy one (Amazon) or find a free download. It will be an invaluable aid in helping you get your Jeep running well and save you a whole bunch of hair pulling.

Good Luck, L.M.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the follow up. I don't think it's nuttered, unless I'm not understanding where the splice is. It should be on the ICM side of the plug, right? As opposed to the wires that plug INTO the ICM's plug? I was considering doing the nutter initially, but I think I'm going to upgrade the distributor to an HEI in the spring, so I'll just skip the nutter and hold out till the spring.

You may be right about the A/C plug. I don't have A/C, so I guess it's fine. I'd like to ditch anything I don't need, but that's how I get into trouble.

I'm still a little confused about the O2 sensor, but it doesn't seem to be hurting anything. The Jeep is actually running really well. Other than only getting about 10 MPG, and a little tick in the cold weather.

Registered
Thanks for the follow up. I don't think it's nuttered, unless I'm not understanding where the splice is. It should be on the ICM side of the plug, right? As opposed to the wires that plug INTO the ICM's plug? I was considering doing the nutter initially, but I think I'm going to upgrade the distributor to an HEI in the spring, so I'll just skip the nutter and hold out till the spring. You may be right about the A/C plug. I don't have A/C, so I guess it's fine. I'd like to ditch anything I don't need, but that's how I get into trouble. I'm still a little confused about the O2 sensor, but it doesn't seem to be hurting anything. The Jeep is actually running really well. Other than only getting about 10 MPG, and a little tick in the cold weather.
Hei, single wire hookup, wreck out all the unnecessary vacuum lines if you can, you'll notice a huge difference

Premium Member
LuckyMac is correct. The top pic is your A/C option plug. The second pic is the plug for the air management solenoids, which you probably no longer have, and the O2 sensor is not doing anything but plugging the hole. I'd leave it but you can take it out and plug it with a pipe plug with that same thread.

If it runs good, don't take any chances. Leave it be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts