Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 88 YJ 2.5L that has some clutch issues. Pretty much the pedal goes all the way to the floor. I'm thinking about getting the following parts to remedy the situation:

Master Cylinder
Slave Cylinder
Throw-out bearing
Clutch Cover
pressure plate

So I'd like some brand recommendations, as well as any websites I should look at. I'm a skilled mechanic but am new to Jeeps, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Markus

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having a similar problem, I have replaced the mastercylinder twice with the same results. Results: I can get it into gear barely for two days then nothing. The first master I let set for 3 weeks and the master cylinder was had no pressure at all. Assuming it a defective mc I changed it, yesterday I hit the dirt roads around the shop and today I drove it home. Before I arrived at home I was having to start it in gear at the stop lights to get going again. At home I noticed sparkles in the clutch fluid, the first time I did not notice the sparkles.

Are you seeing sparkles in your fluid also(you my have to use a flashlight like I did)

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Left over shavings from manufacture?? Maybe.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I did all of that on a Cherokee I owned for 3 months. It was one of the rare ones with the 4.0/ax15. I used a whole kit from autozone and it worked fine for a stock setup. How much do you plan on beating on it? Also most recommend on converting the bellhousing to the external slave cylinder style.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts