Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got my LEDs... while screwing them into the sockets its seems i scratched the contact film on the back of the gauges where they screw in. i now have no lights on the clock and next two gauges to the the right.

anyone have thoughts?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Now this is just a "THOUGHT". While I was fixing the gauges on my 89yj, the "tape is also broken by the clock. That TAPE looks like copper tape that I used when doing a leaded stained glass window.If you have any arts & craft stores nearby, ask them, its the tape you put on the edge of the glass before you solder it, it may work. I haven't had time to try this yet, as I said, just a thought!!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so you are thinking that i just put a little tape down, get the contacts back, and viola it may work?

·
Registered
374 Posts
You will have to make sure that the old part of the tape is clean so you have good contact, and just put the patch in where its broken.Then cover the new section with clear "nailpolish"?Im pretty sure the tape thats on there is coated with something so it doesn't short out on anything. Like I said, I "haven't" done this yet, but this is what I'm going to try.If someone else might chime in on this, Im sure there is a "fix" besides replacing the plastic panel, if you can still get them!!

·
Registered
704 Posts
It's copper tape also used to create the electric current for custom slot car tracks. If you can't find it local, you can on ebay.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thanks Charley24, What about the nailpolish to seal it from shorting? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
374 Posts
schwaag, did you ever get a chance to fix it?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no - travel for work lately and i changing these things was a test for my mechanical skills so i am freakin' out. super novice gearhead so need lots of info/research before i dive in

1 - 8 of 8 Posts