Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there!
I am new to the forum and have spent quite a bit of time searching for my answers to a nagging question.....I recently yanked a 4.2l out of the jeep which is now being machined and ported while I prepare the rest of the ride for drive-ability. I did just buy it and the engine was....well...beyond drive-ability....which leads to my question.

I was going to put a clutch in it (since I am already there with the engine out) and the research has me (can I say puckered a bit) it is the peujunk BA10. It does have reverse and atleast first and second but could not be driven far enough to verify any other forward gears. So here is the question:

by a clutch and hope... or bite the bullet on an AX15. That leads to a ton of other questions:
Bell housing compatability
Trans case compatability
Drive Shafts
Clutch
Master and Slave Cylinder
Internal vs External
Gear Ratios
etc.

My goal is to get this running as quickly as reasonable but not spend extra time and money on stuff that will need to be replaced in the near future. I don't want to blow the budget but also don't want to repeat work unnecessarily. That being said....I am putting a rebuilt MC2150 on this 258 and thought the clutch would be good to put on but reading some of these posts seems like I should heavily consider the AX15.

New engine new carb.....new tranny and clutch?

I am new to jeeps but not to engine swaps. If anyone has done a similar project please give any advice willing. My chevy contacts aren't a big help in this project. Greatly appreciate any resource or experience and feedback ya'll can provide. Sorry for the long post.

Usage will be trails and low flowing rivers....not MOAB

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
I have an 87, that had the BA10 in it. When I did the motor rebuild, was when I switched to an AX15. I got mine from a 97 TJ that was in the salvage yard.

If you are switching to a newer AX15, you will need everything from the donor. Bell housing, trans, t-case, and skid plate. None of the parts are interchangeable when making the swap.

You also need a custom pilot shaft bushing too. The one that fits the back of the crank on a 258, and mates with the pilot shaft from an AX15 is originally for a mid 80's CJ with a 304 V8 and a 3spd trans.

swapping from an internal to an external slave cylinder requires a different clutch master because the bore of the master cylinder is different between the 2 and the bore has to match the slave in order to get full stroke on the clutch. This master is available from advance adapters.

The only option to save any kind of money on doing an AX15 swap is to find an AX15 from an early 90's YJ that runs the internal slave. But they are few and far between.

After buying the trans, t-case and skid plate, and all the other parts needed to do the swap, I have about $3,000 invested into the AX15 upgrade.

It's only money, can't take it with you when you die, JEEP stand for Just Empty Every Pocket.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I scoured the local yards and nobody has an early model yj ax15. I did find a couple on ebay but with the engine overhaul...sounds like I will have to wait.

Anybody know of a good Jeep Resource local to the Kansas City Area?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts