Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got an 88 yj for sale wont turn over new starter and solinoid all im getting is a click when i turn it over 500 bucks takes it

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
If I was closer we could have a beer and chase it down. Use the search and start reading on YJ won't start threads. If you know anything about wiring here is the start circuit. I know it is a 93 diagram but should help.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Like joker said, look around and you will find a lot of good info.

Before you do anything else, put the battery on a charger overnight and while it is charging, go thru all of your connections positive and ground. take them all loose, clean them all and use some diaelectric (sp) grease when you put them back together. Pay attention to your grounds, make sure all are clean and tight.

Replace any old or correded cables with new and you will more then likely find your problem. Remember, just because the lights come on does NOT mean the battery has a good enough charge to start the jeep.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's funny, my 91 Islander did the same thing to me. Turn the key, click. Battery is good, even tried giving a boost, click. I checked solenoid, connections, click. I was underneath the engine, wiggled any wires I could see, she turned over. I need to figure this out. Maybe a bare wire somewhere??

·
Registered
40 Posts
Theres so much information on here you should be able to diagnose the issue. It is probably what everyone has already stated, but a lose wire or bad connection. Dont give up!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts