Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had tried to build a low mileage 93 but not being able to secure a title set me back.

I found a low mileage 88 with a title and drove it as is for a while. I've made a few changes and will supply pictures as I can in the next few days. I built the 93 frame like I wanted it. It already had a front axle shackle reversal and about 4 inches of lift.

I used an 87 front axle that had 354 gears and southern engineered the CAD out of operation. It'll get a solid axle shaft as soon as I get a chance. I have two in storage. I don't like the CAD but can't use one since I've installed a 242 transfer case. A CAD disconnecting while in full time 4x4 would certainly do damage to the transfer.

I raised the transfer/tranny/skid plate up against the frame and installed a SYE on the transfer. So, both driveshafts have a double cardans at the transfer. Both driveshafts were built by Brazos Valley Driveline, a local shop.

I'm using the 93's 4.0 and almost all the 93 wiring. About the only remaining 88 parts are the tub, with VIN, rear axle and the heater, which has been totally rebuilt.

I put a Rally Top on it with operating windows in the back, in case I don't put the a/c back. and with fiberglass half door tops. I really like it.

I'm towing it to Winter Park, Colorado in two days for a week in the snow. I really need to clock the pitman arm before we go but I'm about to run out of time.

This is a pic of the day I towed it home. The wheels were mine because the tires were in too bad of shape to hold air. More pics and details of problems solved will come after vacation.

Attachments

·
Registered
945 Posts
Nice so far, would love to see more pics of your work in progress.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Hey goats is that the Temple Bucee’s in the background?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No sir, not Temple but Waller, TX. On the way home to College Station from Houston.

I have just now returned from Winter Park, Colorado. We towed the Jeep to Colorado Springs and I drove it from there. I built it with a 242 transfer behind an AX15. Some people fear the 242 won't work well behind the standard. I spent 5 days on the ice at Winter Park with the 242 in full time 4x4 with absolutely no problems. I used up about 3/4 of a tank of gas on the ice.

Pics of progress will be coming soon. I have to get them transferred to a place I can pull them up.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A friend reported an "old Jeep" that had been abandoned and I could buy cheap. We went to look at it.

It had been parked under a shed roof for at least 8 years.

It had a few problems. The rear axle was history.

We couldn't find any of the pieces. And, the radiator, radio, rear speakers, winch and battery had apparently been stolen. One wheel and tire was missing, the top of the driver door was missing and the soft top was very brittle.

I made a deal and bought it for $500. We loaded it on a trailer and brought it home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts