Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. First YJ. Last several Jeeps were CJs. Anyway, the PO installed a brand new carter. Im not really what you'd call a fan, BUT it IS new. Ive done a complete tune up, checked the timing. Everything appears to be as it should be. Now, heres where Im a bit puzzled, im running 33s
and assume there is OEM gearing. The fastest i can get out of the YJ is around 70. Is this normal? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Yes typical for 33s. Regear is in you future or live with it. No loss on the trail but you will use your 4L more. Currently found the regear myself a 4 banger on 33s going to 4:88s. Hope it does the trick. New 8.8 in the rear and some lockers front and rear.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Still the same issue bigger tires less power, braking and crappy steering all part of the mod. Solutions are out there. Regear to get the speed and power back. Double diaphragm booster and four wheel disc brake master cylinder. Steering I am still looking.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Is that a 5 speed? My last CJ7 has the 4.2/4 speed with 35's and it didnt have a problem with 70mph. It had the 35's and 2.73 gears when I bought it. Taking off was its problem. I swapped in d44's that had 3.53's and it was much better. I didnt go lower because I lived in the middle of nowhere and had a decent hiway drive to get anywhere.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
It's a Jeep not a import tuner or sports car. Your doing 70 that's great if you ask me I barely do 65 on a flat drive. Just MHO.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
I have a 90 4.2 with a 4" lift on 33s with the original Carter and stock gears. I can go 70 on the flat, but rarely use 5th gear.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'd use 4th gear and think of 5th as a bonus on flat land. My no overdrive auto will keep on pushing the speedometer until I let off the gas. I run about 2700rpm @ 70mph.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I have an 89 4.2l, ax-15, and 32's on the stock 3.07 gears, and my top speed is somewhere between 65-70. For those who don't know either, 5th gear on jeeps is really just overdrive to lower rpms at high speed

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Ok. First YJ. Last several Jeeps were CJs. Anyway, the PO installed a brand new carter. Im not really what you'd call a fan, BUT it IS new. Ive done a complete tune up, checked the timing. Everything appears to be as it should be. Now, heres where Im a bit puzzled, im running 33s
and assume there is OEM gearing. The fastest i can get out of the YJ is around 70. Is this normal? Thanks.
if the speedo gearing has not been changed then when you are registering 70 with 33's you are running about 80

·
Registered
742 Posts
if the speedo gearing has not been changed then when you are registering 70 with 33's you are running about 80
Incredible Dragon. Besides your legendary painting skill, you know damn near everything about these machines. This forum would be diminished without your knowledge and gracious help.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Harleydragon is correct. My speedometer is 10 mph off, verified by GPS (there's a nifty app for that). When I stated above that I could hit 70, my speedometer is registering 60.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yes, same here. on 33's, the speedo didn't keep up because it thinks its turning smaller tires. Verified by GPS, I'm a good 10 to 15 mph off depending how fast I'm going. Had her up to 80 a few times but I typically don't like going above 70... 65 really.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a 90 4.2L with TBI and a few other mods. Gears at 3.55. 33's. I can go 80 pretty easy in the highway, but rarely get over 75.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts