Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on my way to work this morning as right as I"m backing into my spot the '89 carbbed 4.2 died out on me. I tried to start it back up and it started for a couple seconds and stalled back out. Kept trying and I finally for it started again, revved it up a little bit and it did rev, oil pressure looked good, and battery gauge was a little bit to the left of TDC. It then stalled out again and when I went to start it all I get is on "click". I'm thinking the alternator is gone, but would like some input. The guy I got it off put a new starter on it not too long ago, maybe 2 years at most, so I dont really think its the starter. Any other possibilities?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I got it started up and drove it home. The starter would kick in easily at all, but seemed fine when it did. I back into my driveway and as I went from R to D it stalled out again and wouldnt start back up easily. Was turning the starter for probably 10-15 seconds and it wont kick.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Fuel filter? Water in the gas?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nah, the starter is only working intermittently. I'm thinking starter or wiring. I'll rip in to it on sunday, but if anyone has ideas feel free to share. The stalling out going from R to D is what gets me the most I think.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
A faulty starter, would not cause you to stall, between R and D. I am thinking you need to clean out that carburetor, and linkage.

·
Registered
307 Posts
A faulty starter, would not cause you to stall, between R and D. I am thinking you need to clean out that carburetor, and linkage.
x2. Bad Starter will cause No Start.........not stall. ...once it's started it's job is done.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But the starter wasnt even turning over half the time. I would turn the key and just get a single click.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Ignition switch.
Neutral safety switch possible but not likely.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Solenoid. Get yourself one of them, they are less than $20. It will be bolted to the firewall under your battery. Try this before ripping out the starter because it is cheap and may save you some work.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I was on my way to work this morning as right as I"m backing into my spot the '89 carbbed 4.2 died out on me. I tried to start it back up and it started for a couple seconds and stalled back out. Kept trying and I finally for it started again, revved it up a little bit and it did rev, oil pressure looked good, and battery gauge was a little bit to the left of TDC. It then stalled out again and when I went to start it all I get is on "click". I'm thinking the alternator is gone, but would like some input. The guy I got it off put a new starter on it not too long ago, maybe 2 years at most, so I dont really think its the starter. Any other possibilities?
i have an 89 Wrangler 4.0 (i thought they were 4.0)110,000 miles.in 2006 i had 2 similiar problems .first the brain box needed to be replaced (located on inner left wheel well).then a bad positive cable from starter to battery.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts