Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not ready to remove the front track bar yet, but the bracket it's attached too is loose and banging around. Just wondering if anyone can tell by my photo whether there is a washer or bushing missing on the lower bolt, between the concave washer and the bracket. I tried to tighten the nut but it wouldn't budge. I'll try to tighten it with an impact gun if that space should be closed and no bushing is missing. Just didn't want to snap the bolt if the nut was already maximum tight and there actually was a piece gone from behind the washer. Thank you.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/ima...riginal.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
89 wheel bearings

Hey guys. I want to repack the fron wheel bearings as I don't know when (if) they've ever been done by the previous owner. I thought the bearings were in the front rotor but upon inspection, I find them to be in a very out of the way place. And, if I read it correctly, the service manual says that to replace them, they need to be pressed out? And how would I grease them? I have a packer to put the bearing in to grease it up, but what do I need to do to get there. Would I best taking it to a shop that can handle this? It doesn't sound home user friendly. Thanks for any contributions.

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Hey guys. I want to repack the fron wheel bearings as I don't know when (if) they've ever been done by the previous owner. I thought the bearings were in the front rotor but upon inspection, I find them to be in a very out of the way place. And, if I read it correctly, the service manual says that to replace them, they need to be pressed out? And how would I grease them? I have a packer to put the bearing in to grease it up, but what do I need to do to get there. Would I best taking it to a shop that can handle this? It doesn't sound home user friendly. Thanks for any contributions.

The YJ's use unit bearings they are supposed to be replaced as an assembly. I have read in the past that a guy used a shop press and pulled the unit bearing apart and was able to put new bearings and races in them but your not supposed too.

Do not buy cheap ebay unit bearings only buy good quality bearings Moog seems to make the best right now they are made in South Korea.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since they are not the simple pull off the rotor old school wheel bearings that one can repack, I suspect I would just want to change these when they are near their end of life. Correct? And would I know that that time was near if I started to hear growling in the left or right front wheel area?

Any info on the track bar bracket? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Since they are not the simple pull off the rotor old school wheel bearings that one can repack, I suspect I would just want to change these when they are near their end of life. Correct? And would I know that that time was near if I started to hear growling in the left or right front wheel area?

Any info on the track bar bracket? Thanks.

yeah you can buy a new one for about $85

Your track bar has a drop bracket on it so the jeep mus have a lift kit. you do not even need a track bar the jeep will ride better without it i would remove it and throw it away like 99% of YJ owners

·
Registered
934 Posts
Yup, lose the trackbars front and rear, don't need them! I've removed the swaybar also, IMO doesn't need that either, a YJ does not have that much body roll anyway.

Reactions: Krangler87

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Why are you not ready to get rid of the track bar yet? Is there some reason that you like your suspension to bind and not cycle like a leaf spring suspension is supposed to?

To address the other issue, if your Jeep is staring to growl at you it is probably time for bearings.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it safe to assume that, by their design, these wheel bearings were basically just meant to be replaced when they wear out vs repacking like the old time in-the-rotor bearings?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why are you not ready to get rid of the track bar yet? Is there some reason that you like your suspension to bind and not cycle like a leaf spring suspension is supposed to?

To address the other issue, if your Jeep is staring to growl at you it is probably time for bearings.
I just wanted to try driving with the bar on for awhile to see how it affects handling, suspension, etc. I have less than 1 mi driving time on my 89 since purchasing as I've been restoring it to "dependable" level. So, yeah. Just want to try with and without to get the full track bar "experience".

·
Registered
934 Posts
Is it safe to assume that, by their design, these wheel bearings were basically just meant to be replaced when they wear out vs repacking like the old time in-the-rotor bearings?
Yup, just don't buy the cheapest unit bearings on the market. I prefer Timken others have their own favorite brand

1 - 11 of 11 Posts