Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty new to this forum so don't roast me... Just recently rebuilt my 89 2.5L wrangler yj with a rebuild kit i got off ebay. Been having some issues with the distributor. First start up it ran great, sounded great, but once I decided to take it around the block and went about 5 miles the jeep died. Towed it back pulled the distributor and the gears were ground down to almost nothing.. Decided to throw a new distributor back in to see if it would fix the problem and the same thing happened after driving it the exact same distance as I drove before.. Not sure of the problem. I feel like it might have something to do with the camshaft. I have replaced the cap and rotor, spark wires, spark plugs, oil pump, etc. It seems like the timings right as to my knowledge with these engines the motor wont start if you have the timing even one gear off.. Any responses will help!

·
Super Moderator
12,691 Posts
Try shining a strong light down the distributor hole to take a good look at the teeth on the camshaft gears.
If you don't see any problem there, try turning the engine over a small amount and take another look. Keep turning and looking until you have examined all 360* of cam gears.

Did the Ebay kit come with a distributor gear? If so it may have been the wrong pitch and you can cure the problem by reinstalling the original gear.

An '89 YJ is 28 years old and you never can guess what a prior owner might have done. Is there more than one cam that will work in a 4cyl.? They used these motors in a whole bunch of different vehicles.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just barely pulled the camshaft today and yes the gears on the cam were ground down just like the distributor.. so looks like a new cam. Also the kit came with an entire new cam that had the gears already installed, I contacted the place where I bought the kit from and asked them the same question (if the pitch on the gears could be the wrong size) and they said they had never had an issue with that before. Just curious as to what would cause this, i wouldnt want to buy a new cam and have the same issue in the future. I know when i rebuilt the engine we had a small issue trying to set the timing tensioner. If it was too tight could this happen? Before I install the new cam i will make sure the gears align with the distributor. Thanks for the quick response.

·
Super Moderator
12,691 Posts
If the kit you bought came with a new camshaft, I suggest you install that camshaft and another distributor gear from the same place. One would think that the camshaft that they sent and a replacement gear should mesh with each other.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts