Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 89 jeep...( my first) its a 2.5 l and I I got a great deal... It needs a little work but I'm happy with it... (The issue) I drove it home about 60 miles from where I bought it and about a mile away it started to spit and sputter until it shut off... I give it a few minutes and cranked it up and drove it on home with no problem.. A couple hours later I drove it 10 miles to church and the same thing.... It acts as of it is starving for gas...??? It will start by sputtering but if you slow down it will idle fine for a little but it you try to rev it up it will spit and shut off... Kinda seems that it's not getting any gas but not sure??? I new to jeep so any input is greatly appreciated... Please help.... Thanks Chad

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Start with the easy, replace fuel filter, check cap rotor wires and sparkplugs, even try fresh gas. Oh, and make sure your gas cap is correct; could be the vent is plugged.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Aggree with Camarozz..............after removing the fuel filter, turn the inlet down and tap it on a piece of wood to see what trash comes out

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Time to do a full tuneup, especially if it hasn't been done in a while:

-Cap
-Rotor
-Plugs
-Plug wires
-Air Filter
-Fuel Filter
-Crank sensor
-Throttle body scrubbing
-PCV
-Vacuum lines
-Oil change
-Oil filter
-Injector cleaner in fuel tank

As for the other fluids:

-Flush old coolant, replace with green
-Drain front and rear diff oil and refill
-Drain tranny oil and refill with 10W-30 oil
-Drain t-case fluid and refill with ATF

Should run pretty close to new if you do that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok guys.... I replace the fuel filter,add a can of injector cleaner,new plugs and wires.... I drove it about five miles with no problem but on the way home it did it again.... It will all of the sudden act as if its loosen fuel... If you try to rev the motor it shuts off.... If it shuts off or I turn it off I can wait 5 seconds and crank it up and drive a little ways and then it will do it again...please help any input would help...

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Well, the only thing I can offer is to step through some trouble shooting; because honestly it can be just about anything.

You need three things basically to have a motor run, compression, fuel and spark. You just need to figure out which is causing the issue.

It does sound like it could be a fuel thing, so personally I would start there after verifying the spark plugs are not worn looking, and the wires look ok. Did you check in the cap and rotor? Although generally that would cause an idle problem as well.

How about any check engine light? Does your light work?

You could have a clogged injector, but I would think that would be a constant problem and not an intermittent problem.

How about spray carb cleaner on the throttle body, you could have some carbon buildup on the butterfly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I put new spark plugs and new wires in today... Also put injector cleaner in the fuel... After cranking and driving for the first 10 mins or so it runs and idles great then it acts as if it looses fuel ... I can shut off and crank back up and it's fine for a few mins then does it again...I'm confused bc it runs and idles great then stops....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds like clogged injectors to me, had the same issue a few months back. Fortunately the cleaner did the job for me. Give the cleaner time to do its job, its isn't instantaneous after all... continue running as you are and progressively it should increase in running time to the point where it doesn't shut off on you anymore.

My 2 cents, and congrats on the yj!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
+1 Agent...

Yes it could be ignition control; and you may be able to take it in to get tested for free a the parts store.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I'm gonna try and get it checked Tom... Thanks guys I really appreciate all the input... Ill let y'all know how it turns out... I'm a nubie to this forum thing and the jeep thing so again ... Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok guys... I'm at a loss... I changed the ignition control module and the coil... I don't really know what else to do... I drove it today after I did the work and it did the same thing.... I got good compression , and good spark.... Could the fuel pump be shutting off? If I had bad gas or a clogged injector I should have a constant problem right?? I check the vent on the gas tank and also looked at the butterfly and it appears ok.... I'm not a master mechanic by no means but I do have a little experience.. All I know to try is to drop the tank and replace the pump and look to see it there's something in it clogging up the sock????? Input please!!!!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Ok guys... I'm at a loss... I changed the ignition control module and the coil... I don't really know what else to do... I drove it today after I did the work and it did the same thing.... I got good compression , and good spark.... Could the fuel pump be shutting off?
It could be, I had a car once that would run and die like you describe, and got worse. Ended up being the inertia switch. I could go smak it then reset it and the car would run again; replaced it and no more problem. Could also be the fuel pump, that would require monitoring the pressure with a good tester.

If I had bad gas or a clogged injector I should have a constant problem right?? I check the vent on the gas tank and also looked at the butterfly and it appears ok....
Sometimes, thing is fuel problems like this do not always follow a set of rules. You would think there would be a constant problem; but it could be other things affecting it as well. Dont just look at the butterfly, spray it down and all the linkage around the throttle body. Just because it "looks" fine does not always mean it is.

I'm not a master mechanic by no means but I do have a little experience.. All I know to try is to drop the tank and replace the pump and look to see it there's something in it clogging up the sock????? Input please!!!!

Im personally not a fan of just replacing parts for grins and giggles; but yeah it could be the pump and/or the screen. It could be a loose connection, it could be a loose ground, it could be a bad vacuum line, it could be a bad injector, it could be your ECM, it could be any number of things associated so in the end it could end up getting really expensive if you just go at it like a shotgun. Without truly troubleshooting you will not know for sure, and if I may suggest, maybe it would be easier and cheaper in the long run if you take it in to a mechanic.

We can make suggestions on things to check, but that may require some specialized test equipment (like the fuel pressure guage), but if you are willing to invest in such a thing, you can start to eliminate things till you find the problem; so in the end it boils down to what you want to spend your money on. Do you want the tools, do you want to spend that money on a mechanic, or do you want to shotgun the repair.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay guys ..... I own quite a few tools and quite a few pieces of test equipment also.... I just thought if somebody had run across this problem with a jeep they might could save me a little time and the suggestions and input is greatly appreciated.... I just purchased the jeep and the parts I changed ( for grins and giggles) was just some things I felt needed to be done for my piece of mind and to prevent problems I could see coming...I put a fuel pressure gauge on it today to find out that the fuel pump was shutting off after 8-12 mins of run time... Overheating????... Anyways, I thank you guys for the input and suggestions...

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Was the fuel pump whining? That is usually a sign, but I have yet to have one do it like you described.
I was going to say CPS. When mine went out it would run great, then just start running like crap

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No it never whined or did anything that noticed.... CPM? Don't want sound stupid but what does that stand for? My fuel pump acted normal and it had good pressure but after a few mins it was just shutting off or it was loosing all pressure....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
CPS*... Crank position sensor... I gottcha now... That's where I was going if it wasn't the pump... I would have thought it would have been a constant problem but I guess any things possible

1 - 20 of 21 Posts