Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm in the process of a 4.3 swap from the under powered 2.5. I've got the ax15 behind the 4.3. I keep seeing everyone doing these engine swaps but I'm not seeing anything on how the exhaust is being run. With the 2.5 it runs under the oil pan. With the 4.3 the manifold runs to the back of the motor. So the question is how did you run your exhaust? Daul or single and what size would be the best diameter the the 4.3?

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
Welcome to the Forum squirrel88,

I like quick and easy. Usually quick and easy costs more.
I'd take the Jeep to an exhaust shop for a bid. Let them know you're concerned about ground clearance. A good shop will have all the tools to do a nice neat job and might even be cheaper than buying the individual components and trying to shoehorn them in place without a tubing bender and a welder.
I'd go with single exhaust (one muffler vs 2 mufflers and one cat vs 2 cats).
I'd go with the stock sized exhaust. The vehicle manufacturers have engineers that figure all that stuff out for greatest efficiency.
Have the muffler shop write on the invoice the brand and model # of the cat and the muffler in case either gets damaged or rusted out.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
196 Posts
You didn't say if you are savvy enough to do your own welding in your exhaust system or not or if you are going to have someone else do it. Here's what I did. I do all of my own welding and metal fab at will. After installation of a 5.3L Vortec and 4L60E trans I ordered one of the 2.25 stainless kits with all the bends and straights from summit racing. Bring the drivers side down from the header and pass in front of the oil pan and join the passenger side drop. I brought the two 2.25 pipes into a 3 inch collector. All stainless parts from summit. 3 inch out of the collector into the stainless Cat. Yes I kept all of the emission stuff even though I didn't have to. Out of the Cat to a single 3 inch input to a stainless muffler above the skid plate alongside the tranny. Two 2.25 outputs out of the muffler to a dual exhaust (both on the passenger side of the gas tank) out the back of the jeep.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I would like to add to that I welded in stainless pre-cat and post-cat O2 sensor bungs to give me the emissions inputs to the computer. So far the performance of the engine has been phenomenal with this pipe diameter set up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts