Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after spending time thinking about it and being coaxed by a friend, I've decided to post a build thread for my YJ. It started as a cheap 89 I picked up for a project and hopefully when I'm done it'll be something more. For the low price of $1500 I picked up this wrangler and drove it 1.5 hours home. Not bad for a 4.0 five speed with new tires and grand Cherokee rims. after getting it I decided on an entire frame off rebuild. I started by pulling the fenders off and making a deal with a friend who wanted to buy the drive-train including tires. I decided to get a 5.3 LM7 and 4L60E to swap into it. That with a Dana 300 should be more than I need and something I've always wanted. After tearing it down to the frame and picking up a running engine, transmission, ECM, and wiring harness from a 99 Silverado I decided It was time to post my progress.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Blue Baby Sound, the link was vary helpful. Daddy Jeep, it was in decent shape but the pictures don't show the bad floor pans, rockers, body mounts or the really poorly done patch panels on the frame. After removing the drive train I ordered a list of parts. I decide to build this on a budget but still make something that looks good. I ordered new front seats, four point harnesses, engine swap brackets, hood louver, fuel cell and front and rear tube fenders. the tube fenders I ordered from Trail Tubes while the hood louver I got from poison spider and the swap brackets from Rusty's Off road. The rest of the stuff was from Ebay sources. I also started cleaning up the frame as much as I could before I start cutting off the mounts and welding on new ones.[/ATTACH]

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Looks like you started with about the same caliber YJ that I did for my build. Hopefully you have better luck than me though. It seemed every time I started a certain part of the project I would find 3 different things that needed fixed or replaced. If you have any questions just let me know. I just finished up a 5.3/4L65E YJ project/rebuild. Best of luck to ya!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Good luck with your build. I have just finished a 5.3/4L60E swap and the journey was an incredible experience. Some advice I would pass on to you is with the wiring in the engine compartment, The left side of the bulkhead connector (looking at it from the front of the jeep) is very important wires. DO NOT CUT THEM OUT. They will be your friends when wiring up the new 5.3 harness. There is a fire wall mounted solenoid on your 89 YJ mounted just below the battery box. All of that wiring is very important to keep. Good luck with your build. When you turn the key and that 5.3 fires up it is an amazing experience.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts