Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to improve my air intake. I'm not opposed to DIY, or buying something but I'm not really looking to spend stupid money. The "tube" that runs from my air box to the throttle box is a disgrace! It's like small crappy dryer venting. WTF Please give me some suggestions, pics would be much appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
it's a 258?

·
Super Moderator
12,691 Posts
The engineers that designed your intake were really pretty smart. They knew how much air your engine needs and would have provided the optimum amount through whatever ductwork that is considered "factory".
If the tube that runs from your air box to your throttle box is worn and beat up, I suggest that you replace it with one in better condition. Check the websites that advertise on this forum.

Aftermarket suppliers are like you and me. They look at something and say "If bigger is better I can make a few bucks by supplying a bigger whatever". Bigger isn't always better. For instance, a smaller tapered air horn on a carburetor increases air velocity and thus increases air flow. The downside to an air horn is that it has no filter. It's a racing item where engine longevity isn't an issue.

I assume that you have a 2.5 I4, since from your statement your Jeep is a 1989 and the air box and throttle box are fuel injected items.

If you fill in your signature with details of your engine, transmission and whatever mods you have you will get more and better responses.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: DREDnot

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am running a 2.5 with a 5 speed. Not sure I agree with your assessment of engineers ( with all due respect) I was a mechanic in a dealership for many years and I've seen what engineers can do. But aside from that nearly every STOCK engine will perform better with better air flow (in and out). These engines were not set up to perform to the best of their ability they were setup to meet emissions standards. What I am asking for is recommendations, and ideas of what others have done.
thanks

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
2.5 is a tiny engine it don't need any more air flow than what it has. If you want a performance upgrade put a cam in it or do an engine swap. I put a rustys air tube on my 2.5 liter MJ and it didn't do anything for performance. A intake will just make it more likely to get water in your engine and K&N filters suck more dirt than air.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
You are welcome to try any intake you want but it is proven and well documented tha NONE of them are an improvement over the stock intake on these vehicles

·
Super Moderator
12,691 Posts
Please, try to prove us wrong!

Have your Jeep dyno tested for horsepower output with the stock air cleaner system.
Then have it dyno tested with whatever air cleaner system you can come up with.

If you can come up with a practical way to improve HP, patent it and I'm sure that there are hundreds of 4cyl. Jeep owners that will pay for your system.

The "seat of the pants" dyno results are usually related to the amount of money spent and the noise produced.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: DREDnot

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Yes...by all means...prove this wrong.

But you need to have dyno proof.
Former dealer mechanic here. And I've dabbled in the intake improvement arena. The only time I had dyno documented improvements was on my 2007 Dodge Ram cummins. $400 got me 7/8HP and 10ft/lbsTQ. Sounded badass, though.

The 2.5L has way more intake capacity than it can ever use. Its the same size as the 4.0L and doesn't restrict that engine either.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Heck, the way I figure it an intake could use a bit of an upgrade/refurb after 28 years.

Unless you go digging through junkyards in search of other 28 year old parts, it's cheaper to buy an aftermarket 'performance' part than it is to buy OEM style.

While I know where you guys are coming from, you have to admit it's hilarious to hear people on a board primarily based on modifying jeeps "Leave it alone, the engineers knew what they were doing when they designed it"

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Heck, the way I figure it an intake could use a bit of an upgrade/refurb after 28 years.

Unless you go digging through junkyards in search of other 28 year old parts, it's cheaper to buy an aftermarket 'performance' part than it is to buy OEM style.

While I know where you guys are coming from, you have to admit it's hilarious to hear people on a board primarily based on modifying jeeps "Leave it alone, the engineers knew what they were doing when they designed it"
The air box is the best way to keep the air filter clean, dry and the incoming air Cold. Open element filters are garbage and suck hot underhood air and make a lot of noise, the plastic box is superior.

Reactions: Batjac and DREDnot

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Nobody is saying the engineers got everything right.... but the air intake they got perfect...

There was a write up where they dyno tested a bunch of em and even no intake or filter at all.... the OE intake was the best....

Maybe someone can find it and post it up

·
Registered
507 Posts
Let me clean my glasses, cuz I sure as hell can't see where the OP stated a desire to go with an open element.

WTF Please give me some suggestions, pics would be much appreciated. Thanks
and
What I am asking for is recommendations, and ideas of what others have done.
thanks
plus this
I'm not opposed to DIY
Reading that made me think he was looking for suggestions on a cowl intake, a different cold air system or perhaps (eww) even a snorkel.

I would have really looked foolish if I'd have posted a link to a thread with ideas likje the following eh?

Windstar cowl intake - JeepForum.com

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
The "tube" that runs from my air box to the throttle box is a disgrace! It's like small crappy dryer venting. WTF

This leads me to believe that he equates the convoluted tube design, and a clothes drier's vent to be cheap and restrictive. That is a false assumption. While straight, smooth tubing is just about optimum, when you have to have something that vibrates attached to fixed ductwork, a convoluted tube is the next best thing. Sizing is also important. Bigger is not always better

·
Registered
420 Posts
So, where can you get an OEM intake box and duct?

ETA: Other than a junkyard. I guess Ebay too, but does anyone sell "new" ones?

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
So, where can you get an OEM intake box and duct?

ETA: Other than a junkyard. I guess Ebay too, but does anyone sell "new" ones?
Mopar part #'s
53006315 & 53006316 have been discontinued by Mopar, there is a chance you can find a NOS on ebay or a used one.

Apart from your local salvage yards & Craiglist listings, there is http://www.2ndlifejeeps.com

I have no experience to the above seller, but it populates my searches a lot.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Mopar part #'s
53006315 & 53006316 have been discontinued by Mopar, there is a chance you can find a NOS on ebay or a used one.

Apart from your local salvage yards & Craiglist listings, there is http://www.2ndlifejeeps.com

I have no experience to the above seller, but it populates my searches a lot.
Thanks!

On first glance, 2ndlifejeeps looks to be a little pricey, but if they have that part you need, then you might have to pay a little more.

I was just curious since a PO put a CAI (SHODDY install at best, I had to "fix" it) in my Jeep, and I don't really care for it much. Looks like I could put it back to stock for a reasonable price if I get the motivation/time to do so. I guess I'll just add that to the already lengthy list of things to do...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts