Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally pulled the trigger and ordered my propane kit from www.gotpropane.com and was looking to see if anyone else has done this for thier 2.5 YJ.. I could use some pointers if you got em.. I am mechanically inclined.

I have searched a few times over the past 6mos here for info on propane jeep conversions done.. Nothing recent can be found, and the threads that are here dont give a whole lot of useful info, mainly conjecture, rumors, and links to a friend of a friend..

My big question is, what distributor did anyone go with?
I need to swap to the old school vac advance style and had heard that some were using GM components for this, anyone in the know wish to elaborate or expand on this?

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
are you going you have a dual system that lets you switch from propane to gasoline? my dad had it in an imperial. we could drive from tacoma, wa to reno, non stop.

·
Registered
203 Posts
All you should need is a distributor from a carbed 2.5L if they're just a simple mechanical/vacuum distributor with a magnetic pickup. I'm not familiar with 2.5 distributors but if they're just like any other basic distributor you have a variety of ways you can hook them up. You can run the distributor with any aftermarket brand spark box like msd, mallory, crane, summit, etc. Doesn't even have to be a multispark box, a regular aftermarket cdi box will do it. A GM hei module could also be used instead of an aftermarket ignition box. It's up to you. The aftermarket ones are nice with the multispark and built in adjustable rev limiter, but a basic hei module will do the basics just fine.

are you going you have a dual system that lets you switch from propane to gasoline? my dad had it in an imperial. we could drive from tacoma, wa to reno, non stop.
That would be very to do on a TBI 2.5L. With a carb it would be a lot simpler.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try looking for a distributor out of a 1982-85 jeep cherokee and i would use a msd 6al ignition box
All you should need is a distributor from a carbed 2.5L if they're just a simple mechanical/vacuum distributor with a magnetic pickup. I'm not familiar with 2.5 distributors but if they're just like any other basic distributor you have a variety of ways you can hook them up. You can run the distributor with any aftermarket brand spark box like msd, mallory, crane, summit, etc. Doesn't even have to be a multispark box, a regular aftermarket cdi box will do it. A GM hei module could also be used instead of an aftermarket ignition box. It's up to you. The aftermarket ones are nice with the multispark and built in adjustable rev limiter, but a basic hei module will do the basics just fine.
That would be very to do on a TBI 2.5L. With a carb it would be a lot simpler.
Was my first thought (to just get an older distributor out of a carbbed jeep), then I was told that cats were using the GM HEI setups, and, it got me thinking on that route.. Its not a hotrod, so, I wasnt really interested in getting an external coil.. less components and compact was my idea..

I havent messed with a computerless distributor since high school and this is bringing back alot of cobwebs, researching this setup.. lol

no, STR8 pane.

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Check the cherokee forums they might have more info. But to wager a guess i would say they were switching out the the ignition module for a gm 4 pin module some how.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
any one else have info on this. I'm getting ready to call Carry at gotporpane so i can convert my YJ to propane as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what did you do with the injectors and such.
My 89YJ was TBI, all I did was unplug the electrical from the injector, left it in place.. slapped the propane carb on top..

The OD of the coupler fit the ID of the injector housing, so it worked out perfect as a receptacle plate.. Later on I may cut the internal injector housing out.. For now, it works and I was on a time crunch..

How much did your kit cost?
Kit was $850 from www.gotpropane.com.

I wish I could do this with my TJ!
You can.. All you have to do is put a fuel shut off switch to your gas pump and shut off the fuel when you wanna switch to pane. Theres a guy near me who did that with his 92 XJ, he also has a paned YJ SBC..

How many miles to a tank of propane?
Roughly 130 on 10gals on my first tank, but that is a VERY rough estimate.. I am on my second tank now and am watching it much more carefully..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts