Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
took out my cluster and refitted n cleaned the back of my gauges because the temp gauge never worked when i got the jeep. It still isn't moving and I saw a long metal snake cord coming out of the back of the temp gauge leading to the front of the engine. maybe that's the culprit? Maybe the gauge works but the sensor doesn't?

Here's me checking out the cluster and what's behind it and the initial symptoms

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RYW3MjEZHHgPtCg03

Here is me checking the front engine to trace the wires from the cluster to the engine temp sensors.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nwUBo21ifUcHDrdM2

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
Those look like aftermarket gauges. Is there supposed to be sound associated with the vid?

Other posters with 4cyl. motors will have to chime in and tell you if the sending unit goes to where it currently is attached to the motor or to a fitting on the rear of the motor. I kinda/sorta think that the front sending unit fitting is for something to do with the Fuel Injection, but since I have a carbureted 6cyl., that's just a guess.

If your temp gauge doesn't work, I suggest that you stop by your local auto parts store and buy a mechanical (analog) temp gauge. It should be easy enough to locate a gauge that'll fit where the old one is. Wait until you get confirmation from 4cyl. posters as to the exact location where the temp sending unit goes before installing the new gauge.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those look like aftermarket gauges. Is there supposed to be sound associated with the vid?

Other posters with 4cyl. motors will have to chime in and tell you if the sending unit goes to where it currently is attached to the motor or to a fitting on the rear of the motor. I kinda/sorta think that the front sending unit fitting is for something to do with the Fuel Injection, but since I have a carbureted 6cyl., that's just a guess.

If your temp gauge doesn't work, I suggest that you stop by your local auto parts store and buy a mechanical (analog) temp gauge. It should be easy enough to locate a gauge that'll fit where the old one is. Wait until you get confirmation from 4cyl. posters as to the exact location where the temp sending unit goes before installing the new gauge.

Good Luck, L.M.
thanks

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
The temp gauge has been changed to a manual gauge. Most likely a damaged tube assy. Replace the gauge assy.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The temp gauge has been changed to a manual gauge. Most likely a damaged tube assy. Replace the gauge assy.
so just replace that manual gauge with the 4 posts on it in the video? with an identical working temp gauge and just solder the wires back like they were originally in the video ?

gauge assy = gauge assembly right ?

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
It looks like Airslot gave you a link to the gauge you need. It appears that the ad states it comes with the tube.

I still suggest you check for the proper location to connect the gauge to your motor.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts