Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all:wavey::wavey:
well im new to jeeps as the first one i found out was a lemon but any way
i have a 1989 2.5l 5speed it has a 3in body lift stock springs with shackle i think a 2in lift with jeep wagoneer 10- spoke rims would 33 1250 15 work on those rims with out spacers im not a big fan of uesing them as i have 2 kids and do they idle and run a little ruff with a tbi and what type of upgrades i can do to that year motor wise thaks nick

·
Registered
582 Posts
Yes they will fit. Got the same wheels with 33x12.5 super swampers. When I bought it, it had 2" body and 2" shackle lift. No rubbing, fit fine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool thanksfor the in put on the tires. well took the 89 out for a little drive with my son it runs and drives good but it started to backfire when slowing down it has almost 200000 miles on it and it was driven all the time so im thinking tune up on it but is it carbed or tbi ???

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well took another drive and after it was up to temp going down a dirt road every time i hit the brake it would stall out and try to stall and back fire slowing down as well at speeds the qustion i have would be would the vac or lack of it when braking would cause that and how to fix the issue and i got a chance to pull off the intake to see if it was carb or tbi and it is tbi so im lost on tbi as far as how they work but she runs well has power idle is off just the backfire and stalling has got me

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
all the 1990's and earlier I ever owned had a carb..brake booster uses vacuum from the intake so you could have a bad brake booster

·
Registered
152 Posts
Learn something new everyday!! Back to the backfire mine would do it some times when I would go to take off. It would pop through the tb then die but would fire right back up. I took the intake and exhaust manifold off and put on a new gasket on and it cured my problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i got to drive it more yesterday and seems to only do it when it at temp and under load slowing down if i take it out of gear it wont stall or back fire at all it runs real good but that and the brakes work well but i dont think the lines have not been replaced and even a tune up on it done reacently so when i can im gonna change that stuff and see if it helps as soon as i can

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hi guys well ive been driving the 89 for over a week now and ive got more info to put out. when i drive at night and go to turn and slow down adding the brake lights and turn signal the tac drops with the pulse of the flasher any time the head lights on it even worse w/the brake lights it will back fire and some time stall i just notice if i brake with the high beam on it with stall out backfire till it does i watched the altnator gage it did not drop as i added a load the other gages bounce and go nuts but the steiro and all of the lights keep working it will not do any of thisv in day light just when the headlights are on day or night i wont lose ant power electric wise sterio lights even my led reds will not shut off in batt and alt were tested and conections at the batt it has 197000 miles on it. did ask the preivious owner about it it never did this when he had it and it had an optima yellow top and sterio system with sound bar and rear 6x9s in pods on the floor any help would be great :banghead::banghead: idk if i missed any thing this started after i got it and the previous owner is stumped and we both do mechanical stuff on cars

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have heard that moisture can effect the grounding for gauges and that some have either cleaned up there grounding connections or added a better ground. They reported gauges that were inaccurate or pulsing, but I don't remember if the pulsing happened when using turn signals or brakes.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
You need to check the battery and alternator out and see if they are good at all. Go to your local parts house and have them checked on their machine AZ and Orillys do it for free.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ive had them tested but ill do it again i work at an auto shop when im not running fire i think it might be a bad switch or relay for the lights but i think the alt is the oringinal from 89

·
Registered
1 Posts
heater issue

I have a 89 Jeep YJ with the 4cyl. engine. The heater motor and defroster will blow but it doesn't ever blow warm air. Any ideas

·
Super Moderator
13,336 Posts
OP, the first thing to check in any electrical problem with these old heaps is/are grounds. The (-) cable at the battery and the block, and the ground strap at the back of the head.
Take them off and scrape everything to shiny bare metal and reassemble with a dab of dielectric grease (available at your local auto parts store).
Cleaning the grounds may or may not cure your problem, but it can't hurt and is part of a new owners maintenance.
Then if that doesn't cure your issue, remove the gauge bezels and the gauge assembly. Clean all the electrical contacts there (to shiny bare metal) and reassemble with a speck of dielectric grease. Then do the same with the speedo and tach.
Make sure the ground (probably black) wire is grounding.

As far as the backfire, pendletontn offers a good suggestion. Make sure to torque the bolts to spec when assembling.
You might also consider cleaning the throttle body.

mudbug46, you should get more and better responses if you begin a new thread.

This is your first post, and you are forgiven, but what you are doing is called "hijacking the thread". Not a problem for me (you're new). We all had to learn the rules.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts