Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a '89 YJ. I have 2 kids one in a booster and one in booster/carseat. The '89 doesn't have the shoulder harness (3 point) set-up in the back, only lap belts. Is there a good way to make the back safer for them?

·
Registered
547 Posts
buy a three point. I think they are only like 40 bucks.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
You will need to upgrade to the newer "family" style roll cage for the three point seat belts to work. Someone told me that there was a Jeep junkyard somewhere between you and I...Somewhere close to Wellsville.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
buy a three point. I think they are only like 40 bucks.
I would, but I don't think there is a good place to mount the shoulder point. The '89 rollbar isn't a box like the later ones, and the rear bars come down at about a 45* angle and I wouldn't know where to mount the bracket.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmm, that's an idea....

any idea of cost for a newer roll cage? do you know if it would be an easy conversion? I can do most stuff, but don't have any welding skills.

·
Registered
547 Posts
they have bolt in ones. the one on my yj (94) i believe is stock and it is bolt in. I also have three points in the back. hope that helps you out some. BTw. where in NY are you?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm about 20 min from the Tappan Zee bridge, Orange County NY, I know Utica a bit, pass through there on the way to Old Forge.....

·
Registered
547 Posts
yea i have a couple friends form school over that way too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts