Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of trading my VW Jetta for a 89 YJ 2.5 5 Speed with 75k on it.

The body has been redone and he sent me all the pics also of when he was fixing it and it looks great. I drove it for the first time today and it's my first experience with a jeep of any year. I know the 4 bangers are a little under powered but it seemed fine as long i was shifting at about 3500 RPM's my only real concern was what i thought was a rattling perhaps coming from the transmission but i couldn't tell. It seemed to shift through all the gears fine, i also drove onto some grass put it in 4h and made sure i didn't hear any strange noises.

Just curious if you guys have any thoughts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Check the frame for rust, check the belts, hoses, electronics, etc.... check the top for rips or cracks, etc...

Check the color of the oil, check the anti-freeze and the level, get it up to operating temp and check the temp....

If the owner is willing, take it to a mechanic and get it looked over.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i really like the jeep so the guy i'm trading with agreed to is bringing it to a shop by where i work to have them throw it up on a lift and check everything over figure if there is anything glaring wrong underneath they will identify it, i talked to one of the guys in a 4x4 shop here and he said it's possible that an exhaust hanger is rattling down near the tranny and that's what im hearing.

although he was leery about me buying a 89 he said i should be looking for the later model YJ's as they were better built and and more dependable he claims.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I disagree with that statement. My '89 YJ is a tank and I drive it everywhere. Age is not indicative of quality!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha glad to hear it hope to be part of the "club" soon. Found my first part i'm buying. Family Style Roll cage so my daughters can safely come along in the jeep. now to find the shoulder belts that go with it

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have a 92 with 208k on the original 2.5! They run if you keep the fluids changed regularly. With Any older vehicle just keep a look out for fluid leaks. Seals and gaskets tend to weep or leak a lil as they get older. She should have plenty of life in her if taken care of. Have the shocks and steering stabilizer checked for leaks too. They typically only last 80 to 100k. Just replaced mine and went with the rancho Gas ones. Love them and a lil smoother ride. I run 28 lbs in the city 32 if on the highway and 15 to 18 off road. YJ's are very sensitive to tires and pressure. 2 lbs and you'll feel a big difference. Have Fun.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Is that engine carbonated or fuel injected? I don't know about the rest of you guys but I was happy when fuel injection took over - just something to consider

1 - 15 of 15 Posts