Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buyin a harbor freight special. It's all I can afford for now. Should I go with the 9,000 lb or the 12,000 lb ? It's the badlands brand... I have a coupon for 20% the manager said I can use with the sale price of 279 so ill get it for about $220 for the 9000lb. Is 12,000lb really overkill? My jeep is a 95 YJ 6cyl.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The 9000 would work fine in my opinion. 12000 would work also its all up to you and your needs and how often you will be winching. You will definitely be happy with your investment either way.

·
Registered
112 Posts
12K is overkill, but what the hell, I'd rock it. Why don't you just spend the extra 80 bucks and get the mile marker or rough country?

Edit: I just did a little research, and I actually heard some good stuff about them. You'll be fine with 9000lbs, but when it comes to off road recovery, it never hurts to go overkill with equipment.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
The 9000lb badlands winch will be more than enough if you are only winching yourself, or a comparable sized vehicle. The only time i wished i had a 12000lb winch was when a buddy got his Ford F-350 stuck bad, and i tried winching him out. All i ended up doing was installing a snatch block and that doubles the pulling power.

Oh and by the way, i have the 9000lb badlands winch. works just as well and is quieter than a Warn or Smittybilt.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
There was an article on winches while back and the main point for weekend wheelers was how much winch. They cited an easy formula 2Xweight of your rig. So 9000 is probably going to be just fine.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have to many bullets...said no one ever. I would take the same approach to winching.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is true.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Not sure on a '95 yj what the rating is, but one thing to remember is ur frame is only rated for so much pull... might be worth checking for yours.

I know on the JK they are only rated to 9000lb.

Bryce

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The actual weight on the 12k is like 95 lbs. and the 9k is like 83 lbs. and I'm not sure what the frame rate weight is. I'd have to look into it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I pulled the trigger. I ended up getting it for $293 with a 2 year warranty. $223 before warranty.

Attachments

·
Registered
427 Posts
Nice deal. Ill be in the market for a winch soon. Let us know how it does!

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Badland/HF winches are horrible. My coworker returned 3 of them in 2 months time. Buy a Warn, a Q-Series from Quadratec or something else reliable.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I have seen some of the Badland winches in action, and I was impressed from the money.
I almost got one myself, but I got my MileMarker sec8 instead and have been very happy. Much faster and about the same price of the Badlands. (got mine for $260.00 shipped)
It is the only one I could find with a contactor kill switch which is a very smart thing to have if the contactor gets stuck after heavy use. (What a mess if that is to happen)
The badland winches seem to be better than the old Chicago Electric Harbour Freight winches, but they are kinda slow with a heavy amp draw which is something to consider, and was most important to me.
A bigger winch usually means more amp draw on your charging system.
A snatch block is a must no matter what size winch you get. There will eventually be a time when you wish you had a 20,000lb winch, and the snatch block will surely make something move.
Either way even a cheap winch is a good investment.

Just don't let your friends without winches wear yours out :rofl:
Everyone always calls me when they get stuck somewhere they shouldn't be:rofl:
I plan to buy 2 or 3 more MM sec8's for my other Jeeps.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
denisbaldwin said:
Badland/HF winches are horrible. My coworker returned 3 of them in 2 months time. Buy a Warn, a Q-Series from Quadratec or something else reliable.
Cool man lol.

Got the 2 yr warranty so ill just keep returning it

And btw. Quadratec, rough country, smittybuilt, badlands, and a few others all use the same mold in china for their winches, so they're all pretty much the same junk with different logos slapped on them. Warn is the only reliable name in the industry. But not everyone wants to waste $ on a Mercedes winch when they're going to use it maybe once or twice a year.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I have the 12k and you will need the warranty, only get the 1 year cause it will rust out right around that time. Then you just take it into the store and they give you a whole new one. great stuff. Also im looking into a cover for it cause these things arent made to be out in the rain constantly.

BTW the reason I went with the 12k over the 9k is cause of the pulling strength per layer is higher. meaning you dont have to get the winch down to the first layer to get the pulling strength you need to unstuck your Jeep.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Did you have any problems installing the winch on your 95 wrangler? Did everything line up or did you have to buy any additional hardware?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Did you have any problems installing the winch on your 95 wrangler? Did everything line up or did you have to buy any additional hardware?

Buyin a harbor freight special. It's all I can afford for now. Should I go with the 9,000 lb or the 12,000 lb ? It's the badlands brand... I have a coupon for 20% the manager said I can use with the sale price of 279 so ill get it for about $220 for the 9000lb. Is 12,000lb really overkill? My jeep is a 95 YJ 6cyl.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts