Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I installed 9/16" shouldered bolts in my track bars. Long story short... I just cant torque the axle side front track bar bolt enough to get it to stop clunking. I finally removed the washer under the bolt head, which allows a smaller area for the bolt to clamp against, and now the track bar doesn't clunk.

Is it ok to have a non-flanged bolt head clamping against the track bar bracket?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hello.

I installed 9/16" shouldered bolts in my track bars. Long story short... I just cant torque the axle side front track bar bolt enough to get it to stop clunking. I finally removed the washer under the bolt head, which allows a smaller area for the bolt to clamp against, and now the track bar doesn't clunk.

Is it ok to have a non-flanged bolt head clamping against the track bar bracket?
What's the problem you're having torquing them with the washers installed? I just installed the Northridge bolt kit which included all 4 track bar bolts and all lower control arm bolts without any problems getting to torque specs. Wrong tools or what?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Not to derail, but I asked before and didn't get an answer: do these bolt kits come with location directions and torque specifications?

·
Registered
172 Posts
If you are having trouble determining which bolt goes where, the trackbar bolts are shorter than the control arm ones. Also, you can place them side by side with the old ones and find out that way which goes where.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Not to derail, but I asked before and didn't get an answer: do these bolt kits come with location directions and torque specifications?
The product description on the website usually tells you what bolt it is and the length. For example, the synergy kits, it specifies the length of each bolt for each place on the website and on the plastic bag they come in. You can also download a pdf that includes the instructions for the complete kit of TB, LCA and UCA. Just get a ruler, or a caliper and measure the bolts you have if you really can't tell.

Torque specs remain the same and you can get them from Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » Jeep JK Wrangler Torque Settings

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My original post is not for a kit.. I bought the track bar bolts at ACE hardware. So, I had to buy their only washer that fit 9/16 bolts. Maybe the washer is too large of an outside diameter.

The issue is no matter how hard I torque I can still get a tiny tiny clunk out of my JKS track bar. Basically the bracket is not compressing enough to hold the track bar tightly.

If I remove the washer, which makes the compression area smaller (only the bolt head), then the bracket clamps hard enough to hold the track bar.

So I was just asking if its ok to have a non-flanged bolt head torqued against the bracket since I do not have a washer on there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts