Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, im new to the site. I just bought a 99 jeep tj and have had a lot of fun with it till today. I was driving down the road and all at once it started jumping. pulled off the side of the road and poped the hood, couldn't find anything wrong. closed the hood took off in lst gear runs fine shift to second goes to cutting out again. if I keep patting the gas it will finaly catch up where I can shift to third. got it home plugged my obd2 scanner to it and it shows no codes stored. cant figure this out can anyone help. this is a 99 tj with the 4.0 engine 5 speed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no there is no check engine lights. someone told me it might be leaking at the intake gasket when it gets hot. so I replaced the intake gasket and it still does the same thing. some times it will run fine, and then all at once it acts like its running out of gas. I can feather the gas peddle and eventually it will catch up and go on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have checked the fuel pressure and it is showing 49 psi idling or gassing is this right. I still have the surging problem. have been told it could be water in fuel. can this make it happen.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I have checked the fuel pressure and it is showing 49 psi idling or gassing is this right. I still have the surging problem. have been told it could be water in fuel. can this make it happen.
49 psi is the normal pressure.
Is it idling at the normal levels?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes its idling at 49 psi runs fine idling only surges going down the road acts like its running out of gas.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
since last update engine has now started backfiring sometimes, and check engine light is on scanned it said cylinder one misfire.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've been having the 301 code for some time but I've never had the severity that you have. One thing to look into is the CPS and the wires that run to it. Because they run at the rear of the motor between the cab they've been known to crack n short out. When I put my new sensor in it wasn't set correctly and ran like crap had the flutter the gas and nasty backfires. Readjusted it the following day and it ran great. It also carboned the hell outa the plugs. They were new so I just cleaned them off and put em back in. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I would have the cat checked. Loss of power, now backfiring, it sounds like it could be the cat. I'm no engine expert but I had this problem. It wasn't properly diagnosed by the dealership. Take it to a good muffler shop and ask them to check your cat. If you cat is bad, I would change the spark plugs and get a tune up too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts