Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this wrangler forum. I have a 90 YJ with a 4.2 and auto trans. I have a "chatter" issue from possibly the starter. The previous owner replaced it for a hot no start issue (that I found to be from the aftermarket alarm that I removed) the noise is noticeable in drive and reverse under load at an idle, not while driving down the road. I have shimmed the starter and it has improved but still noticeable. Has anybody come across this issue, and if so what was you remedy?:banghead:

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
the only way that I can think of that your starter could be making a noise is either the starter gear or the starter housing is up against the flywheel..if it was the starter gear then that constant spinning should wear it out in no time..if it is the housing then you should see grind marks on the starter when you remove it and since it is aluminum I would think that it would wear to the point of not making noise pretty quick..flywheel, torque converter or bellhousing bolts being loose are other possibilities

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, it's just thrown me off a little because of the intermittent intervals. I thought of loose bolts, just haven't dug in that far yet. And the fact that it was gone for a bit after I shimmed the starter. I gotta do some deeper digging.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
if it is intermittent then it could even be that the starter is sometimes not completely disengaging either from the starter in fact needing shimming,the starter going bad or buggered up teeth on the flywheel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts