Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my 91 with 4.0 back in December with 56,000 miles on it. Unfortunately, living its entire life in Chicago took a toll on the frame. Originally I had purchased front and rear shackles as well as a rear cross member from Auto Rust, and planned to have a shop weld them in because I don't weld. After further inspection, I decided that not only would I throwing a lot of money out for a band aid, I would probably only get maybe 5 years before I needed to replace the frame. Plus my Trans skid plate looked like it was about to fall off with one good pothole.

I found a clean frame in South Carolina and it is currently in route to me. I began tearing down my YJ yesterday starting with the front clip of course. Note that I don't have any prior experience working on any vehicle to this extent. All I have is the necessary tools and a shop manual. So this will be a learning experience.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Nice YJ well at least the top part. Big job that is achieveable but needs lots of time. I have the tools and can make the space but....time thats tough for me. Good luck on the YJ project.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
It does look really clean in the pics. I am sure that if the frame is rusted that bad you are going to find some rust under those plastic side skirts and probably in the floor. Good luck. We are here to answer any questions that you run in to.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does look really clean in the pics. I am sure that if the frame is rusted that bad you are going to find some rust under those plastic side skirts and probably in the floor. Good luck. We are here to answer any questions that you run in to.
I stripped down the interior besides driver seat and dash last week to save some time when I got it back from the shop that was going to repair the frame. Driver side floor pan is shot, but I expected that. The rest of the tub was surprisingly in perfect shape still except for a small spot on the passenger floor pan and around the roll bar on the same side. Underneath might be a different story but so far doesn't look too bad.

Have to have both rear body corners replaced. Looks like the tailgate swung open when the old owner had it and the tire smacked the bump stop so hard it smashed that side in. Other side has a small rust hole that I'd rather just replace the whole panel than try to patch.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Managed to get the passenger fender off today. Wasn’t too bad but man was it rusted worse than I thought. Supports are pretty shot will need to find a good set somewhere. Put it right in the scrap pile. Last bolt on the bottom of the tub for the fender broke but no biggie.

Drained the coolant as well. Attempted to get the final two bottom toes bolts off for the front bumper but they are being stubborn. Will continue to soak in PB and work on them each day a little more before I take a more drastic step.

Supposed to be a little colder tomorrow so don’t know if I’ll do much but I’m definitely eager to get back out there. Will work on driver side fender next.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Despite the rust, I feel like it’s coming apart quickly. I can see a few things like hoses that will need replacing. Broke the body mount bolt holding the grill in place using a breaker bar. Should I go straight to the impact wrench for the remainder of the body mounts or try it with the breaker bar first?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Don't be surprised if you spin a couple of the body mount bolts. ie caged nuts spinning in the cage.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'd stick with the breaker bar. Impact may make it easier, but will also increase the chance of spinning the nut in the cage. the two front body nuts you should be able to shoot some penetrating lube onto if you remove the rubber mud flaps and worm your hand up over top of the frame rail. the rear two are fully boxed inside the rear body rail. mid body ones are in channel rail, may or may not be able to get some lube on them. those you can also cut the floor open and get at from above with a hot wrench.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^I bought a can of Kroil and I’m going to drill holes in the tub so I can spray them from above. If I break any of them I’m screwed though because I don’t weld. My two rear body mounts have rusted away so don’t have to worry about those. Will have the body shop repair it when it’s back together.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Took a break from the front and end to work on getting some body items off. Next up is the fuel tank maybe today or tomorrow.

One issue I ran into is trying to find the two hoses that come off the charcoal canister. They are strapped together. One is a fairly small diameter hose and the other is larger that goes to the air cleaner. I have been looking for a few days but have had no luck. See pic below.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts