Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lightning does strike twice....Got locked out on my drivers door won't open from inside or out...The passenger door only opens from the inside??....Was able to climb in rear door....Whats the fix??? Thanks

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Take inner door panel off and find problem....

Ps it's gonna SUCK

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that much I figured but I guess I should have been more specific....Obviously these locks have a poor reputation and was wondering of a specific part that fails or a modification...Did a youtube research and there really isn't much....Replacing the lock mechanism and outside handle is pricey, but not sure if that the solution.....Just looking for someone who had this problem before.....

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
There are several things that could be wrong.... no way to know what and no point in guessing till you get your hands on it....

Don't randomly replace things, diagnose the problem....

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Lock cylinder wears... lever on it wears and bends... linkage pops off and wears.... etc

Cleaning and lubricating goes a LONG way....

·
Super Moderator
10,647 Posts
The usual problem with the latch mechanism is the plastic clips that hold the rods in place become brittle with age and break. Then the rods fall off and the opening mechanism no longer works.

You might be able to buy the clips at your local Jeep dealer or find something close at the "help" display at your local auto parts store. Dorman products has a lot of clips and difficult to find hardware. You might check if they have a website.

The clips that hold the door trim panels might break or pull out of the cardboard of the trim panel. You can search online for new clips. I bought new trim panels from Quadratec. If my old trim panels weren't shot, I'd try to glue the clips in where they tore out.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The usual problem with the latch mechanism is the plastic clips that hold the rods in place become brittle with age and break. Then the rods fall off and the opening mechanism no longer works.

You might be able to buy the clips at your local Jeep dealer or find something close at the "help" display at your local auto parts store. Dorman products has a lot of clips and difficult to find hardware. You might check if they have a website.

The clips that hold the door trim panels might break or pull out of the cardboard of the trim panel. You can search online for new clips. I bought new trim panels from Quadratec. If my old trim panels weren't shot, I'd try to glue the clips in where they tore out.

Good Luck, L.M.
Here is what I did years ago....
The metal clip on the latch that the rod connects to eventually breaks.

I removed the broken clip, drilled the hole where that clip went a size bigger so I could fit this style clip.

I then warmed the end of the rod and bent it 90* to fit into the new swing lock style clip...

Problem solved and I will never have to worry about the latch not working properly.

As a side note, I removed the latches and flushed them with a few cans of break clean then thoroughly lubricated all moving parts. They work as good as new.
I did this several years ago and know this fix will help other people.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mysteriously...I went out this morning & the door popped open.....No it didn't fix itself over night.....I got the trim panel off and everything looks normal...I believe its a combination of worn parts...I'll remove the lock, clean it with brake cleaner & lube it, will also do a search for the plastic clips & replace them all...The right door outside handle has to be replaced due to it not meeting the lever on the lock....it over rides it.....(wonderful design) Not looking forward to removing the retainers for the handle....Thanks for all the help & suggestions.......

·
Registered
445 Posts
Mysteriously...I went out this morning & the door popped open.....No it didn't fix itself over night.....I got the trim panel off and everything looks normal...I believe its a combination of worn parts...I'll remove the lock, clean it with brake cleaner & lube it, will also do a search for the plastic clips & replace them all...The right door outside handle has to be replaced due to it not meeting the lever on the lock....it over rides it.....(wonderful design) Not looking forward to removing the retainers for the handle....Thanks for all the help & suggestions.......
My driver's door mechanism is worn so that if I close is easily with a push, it still works.If I close it normally, mild slam, it won't work, inside or out. But if I cycle the inside lock button, the door works again! And all the clips are new.

It's PFM

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tophog....Exactly...Looks like the real solution is go to Home Depot or Lowes, take your choice, and buy a sliding dead bolt that you would use for a shed door for a couple of bucks and bolt that baby on..... That would be real red neck-en....

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Tophog....Exactly...Looks like the real solution is go to Home Depot or Lowes, take your choice, and buy a sliding dead bolt that you would use for a shed door for a couple of bucks and bolt that baby on..... That would be real red neck-en....
We're here to learn how to fix the PO's "Bubba Hack Job Mods" not to create new one's. Tophog don't encourage him. LMAO....

·
Registered
451 Posts
This guy does a lot of how to videos.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts