Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the dilemma - I have been driving this YJ for about a year now and I have always put in 10-12 gallons in the tank, and have always gotten about 150 miles on the tank.

After I got stuck recently and had to get pulled out, the Jeep has been doing a very peculiar thing. About 2/3rds of the way through the tank (about 90 - 100 miles), the jeep starts cutting out in low RPMs. This is especially noticeble through turns. However, once its past 3000 or so, its right back to normal.

Now at first I thought it may be eating gas faster than before (the gas gauge was the first thing to go when I bought the damn thing), but I do fill up about 7 gallons now, so the mileage is the same. So thats not it

Its not the fuel pump, at least not entirely, because it does work fine in higher RPMs and with a full tank of gas.

I am going to change the filter right now to see if it changes anything, but I wanted to post this because I couldnt find anything similar on the forums

Anybody have a similar issue?

·
Super Moderator
12,701 Posts
The most obvious culprit is the fuel feed system.
But, since it is happening at lower RPM and not at higher RPM, I suspect something other than fuel pump or filter.

I am not familiar with your 2.5 FI system in particular, I'm just familiar with cars in general.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mine cuts out at about 130 miles per tank when i make left turns. At that point i have 2 gallons of fuel left in the tank.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I bet you dented in your gas tank skid plate. The fuel pickup is in the middle of the tank and denting in the skid plate collapses the tank slightly raising the fuel pickup. I learned this the hard way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bet you dented in your gas tank skid plate. The fuel pickup is in the middle of the tank and denting in the skid plate collapses the tank slightly raising the fuel pickup. I learned this the hard way.
Thanks everyone for your replies. This actually sounds the most appropriate, given the exact circumstances of the events leading up to the problem.

What is the fix? New gas tank?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks everyone for your replies. This actually sounds the most appropriate, given the exact circumstances of the events leading up to the problem.

What is the fix? New gas tank?
Well it depends... look at your skid plate and see if its visibly dented. if it is you can try dropping the tank(you need to take the skidplate out, it holds the tank in) and beating it back to shape with a sledge hammer. The actual tank is plastic so it might just pop back to shape once you fix the skid plate. Take out the fuel pump unit and make sure the pump and pickup are not damaged. It should tuck down into a depression on the bottom of the tank.

My skidplate was FUBAR and the pickup was wrecked so i bought one from craigslist for $100 and it came with sending unit and tank so i was good to go.

good luck!

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Then make it a 20gal. while it's out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts