Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO i am Done with the Fuel pump and new gas tank Install. I have a NEW Qtec complete fuel pump assem. (pumps a lil small compared to the OE but they say it works)

Every things fine and dandy go for rides--ok!

I try to go over 70 to pass a truck and BAM happens EXACTLY the same way it felt right before my oe fuel pump went. Jeep Cuts out and or has a missfire feeling and gives a nice KICK when it does it.

I check plugs, wires, cap, rotors even TPS all good and new.

I check fuel PSI--35-41 just as it should be.

I am thinking perhaps the PUMP is no good at high loads??

Its DRIVING me nuts! Anyone have an idea???

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
If it is fuel starvation at that speed it may not be the pump. You need to check the tank for residue that may be clogging the pick up screen or it may be what you said a volume prooblem. 70 I haven't seen 70 since the lift.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Here's another option. I just ran into this. Under a load in 4 and 5 gear or at high speed. It would as you say mis fire almost. Chased it around for a while. Plugs.cap.rotor.dizzy.fuel filter and pump. Well come to find out. I ended up blowing my head gasket. It was sucking coolent through under load and high rpms. Check your oil to see if its milky

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is the problem.

That SMALL crap pump Qtec sold me (which i knew would have been crap) is starving my engine from fuel.

I let it run in idle and gave it gas and of course it was popping. SO i then re did that test and sprayed some 2+2 carb cleaner into the Intake and sure enough Stopped Popping and ran perfect high idle.

SO the NEW fuel pump is NO GOOD!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well MY BAD, wasnt the Pump. Although i did exchange it for the BIGGER one.

of all the damn things it was my Distributor Pick up.

problem solved.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Good to get that stuff solved I would rather be frustrated over something important like which gear to climb a hil or what brand of beer to buy for the next Saturday project.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts