Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would the stock axles on my 92 wrangler be able to hold up to 33x12.50 tires on it. and if so do i need to re gear it?

·
Registered
698 Posts
what engine?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
like was else do you need to no? ill try and help you out im not sure on the axles that are in it i no they are stock i have a 4 in suspension lift on it

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
On the street yes.
On the trail. For a while yes. but the dana 35 is the weak link.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
what would i have to do to make the dana 35 good enough for off road
Few options:

1.Don't add lower gears or a locker, and go lite on the gas.(keeping it stock)

2. superior Super 35 kit with upgraded 30 spline shafts and locker. Good upto 35's

3. Ford 8.8/dana 44 swap... you get 31 or 30 spline shafts which will be fine for upto 35's.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok but do you think i should stay away from the 33x12.50 tires for now with the stock axles and gears i dont off road as much as i like do to time

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
What gears and trans do you have?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
to be honest i dont no its stock trans an gears thats all i no. would i have to just put a dana 44 in the rear or do both

·
Registered
72 Posts
ok but do you think i should stay away from the 33x12.50 tires for now with the stock axles and gears i dont off road as much as i like do to time
Depends on where you off road. What transmission do you have ?

I am keeping this vague till you give us the details.

1. Type of off roading terrain
2. Transmission
3. 33x12.50 what ?
4. Engine size...You may have already said.
5. How aggressive a driver are you
6. Vehicle weight
7. Beadlocks or not
8. Type of lift
9. With or without a traction bar

Give as much information as you can.

Some folks can use stock axles for a lifetime. Others will break in the first 5 minutes. It all depends.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i off road in like sandy soils/ mud
straight 6 4.0 high output
i dont no what tires i want to run yet
but beadlock rims
traction bar
and a 4 in rough country lift

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
to be honest i dont no its stock trans an gears thats all i no. would i have to just put a dana 44 in the rear or do both
auto will have around 3.07s
5 spd 4cly will have 4.11's
5 spd 6, no lower than 3.73's.

The 33's will slow ya down a bit. The front dana 30 is fine for 33's. You might want to upgrade the u-joints to tj size at some point. The dana 35 does not like low gears/lockers and big tires on the trail.. It can live for a long time with no mods. but you still have to think when driving off road and all the weight is on one rear tire, that is when things usually go wrong with the dana 35.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i have the auto trans in it people were say to put the 4.10 in it. but the dana 35 rear would be fine with the super 35 kit in it? the only super 35 kit i see from quadratec is this
30 Spline Super 35 Axle Kit with Detroit Locker

For 84-90 Jeep® Cherokee XJ & Wrangler YJ with 3.55 and Numberically Higher Gear Ratio

Quadratec Part No: 16120.150

$999.99
[/URL]
If off-roading is your thing, consider upgrading to a Super 35 kit. While the original model 35 axles are adequate for street use or unmodified vehicles, aggressive trail duty or larger tires and other modifications can push these stock axles & splines beyond design limits, resulting in breakage. Super 35 kits upgrade your axles from the original 27 splines to 30 heavy-duty rolled splines, and you also get a Detroit Locker locking differential. These are up to 35% stronger than stock! Axleshafts come pre-drilled for both 5x4.5 and 5x5.5 bolt patterns.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
That would be it above. Price you can do better on most likey. Also the ford 8.8 can be found for under $200 add a another $200 in parts. They also come with 4.11 gears. but you will have to regear your front axle to match.. so its a catch 22 on the price.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
if i got that kit would i have to regear anything though? and also how exactly does a detroit locker work liek does it stay engaged the whole time or once it feels slip if activates

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
see i heard different thought liek im new at all this thats why im asking questions .. but i heard really good reviews from the super 35 kits

·
Registered
72 Posts
see i heard different thought liek im new at all this thats why im asking questions .. but i heard really good reviews from the super 35 kits
Echo chamber,

Super 35 is a waste of money.

Ford 8.8 will be a cheaper, better and stronger swap.

Google Jeep 8.8 axle swap and READ

1 - 20 of 25 Posts