Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I have had my jeep wrangler 92 since 98 and luckily have had very few problems with it over the years. Recently moved from TX to PA and the state is requiring that I replace my windshield frame and glass due to rust and cracks. I've done a little research but figured I would ask the experts! I'm slightly handy and thought I could make the switch on my own. I was thinking I would buy the frame on quadratec then call safe lite to install the glass. What I don't know is if I will need to sand it and paint it prior... Can I get it in 92 green paint? Will safelite bring their own sealant or do I need to provide it. If the frame only comes in black, where do I find my old paint color? Does the frame typically come with the standard bolts and hinges?

Any help and suggestions who have done this replacement and can make suggestions based on their experience is appreciated. It seems like to have someone do this for me I would need a body shop for the frame, a painter, then a auto glass house. Which means lots of $$$$$$. What can and should I do myself? Where should I buy online? Any and all suggestions welcome as I'm not sure what ill get into and if over my head.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
552 Posts
My windshield frame was rusted everywhere. So i bought a new frame from quadratec, and painted it Crush Orange. I wanted new glass, my glass at the time was original. So i called the glass guy. He came out and replaced it. He had all the outer and inner seals. Very simple.

·
Registered
552 Posts
yes yes, i also replaced that one. And...amazing it stopped raining under the dash when it's wet out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys... I'm not much of a body painter... did the Quadratec Frame come in Black? did you just spray paint it or did you have to sand it first? Do you know where I can match my paint for my Jeep?

Finally, that seal you mentioned between the body and windshield frame. Is that called the COWL seal?

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Yes cowl seal and yes the frames come in black primer. Took it to a body shop and had it painted looks great!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How much should a body shop run to have that painted you think? Doesn't seem like a large job and not much taping to do.

Do you think after its painted the installation is a "do-it-yourself" project or should i get a professional like Safelite to install the glass?

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
I paid $100 for the paint it came out great. Yes have someone local install the glass it was a challenge even though I had never done it before. Then when you have a complete assy install the thing to the JEEP!!!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Do a little shopping around first. You can probly find the same frame cheaper from another supplier. There are few manufacturers of the parts so most all will use the same one. Check with a number of local small glass shops too. Wranglers are possibly the easiest job to do. The glass is about $100, sealant and gaskets about $40 so the job should be less than $200. Look around for a tech and ask him if he works on the side.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Bondra, everyone here so far is absolutely correct. But... be very careful while removing the windshield frame. When I was removing mine, and being "somewhat" careful, I borke one hinge and bent the other to hell.

Suggestion: Maybe unbolt the hinges first, then the roll bars. I tried laying my winshield down after undoing the roll bar bolts first... led to a real nice big headache.

Also, definaltey do the cowl seal, part isn't expensice at all. When I did mine, I realized the metal plate holding the entire dash was rusted, and gave me an excuse... I mean reason, as far as the wife is concerned, to replace the entire dash. haha.

But just make sure you be very careful, and if you are getting it painted by a proffesional, definatley ask around to your local shops, and do it before you get your windshield and everything mounted.

Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just did my frame and glass today, got the whole kit from quadratec, I spray painted the frame, and installed the glass and all seals myself was pretty straight forward, but you need either and electric or nematic caulk gun for the windshield sealant, I broke two regular caulk guns trying to use them. Came out really nice!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm just going to add a +1 to everything that has already been suggested as I just did the exact same frame/windshield replacement myself. I will also add as my suggestion that you either let the shop that is going to paint your frame handle the removal and installation of the old frame and glass themselves or be prepared to purchase a nice impact drill such as a Dewalt to handle the torq screws. These things are a major problem with any less powerful tool. You can strip those screws easily and they are a huge pain to get out once stripped. I even had one screw that the torq bit completely twisted off into the head.

I also ran into problems with the windshield wiper motor linkage while pulling it out of the old frame. There are plastic bushings that hold the motor to the linkage arms which are damn near impossible to find replacements for if they are worn out on you. Mine is, and I'm still driving without wipers. You can find the bushings for the wiper arms themselves, but the one that actually hold the motor to the linkage cannot be found anywhere..trust my I've been looking. So if you do the frame swap yourself, be very careful with that connection in both removal and re-installing in the new frame. Hindsight being what it is, I'd have been better off just letting the body shop handle it.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
This was one of the first things I did to my Jeep. Got the frame, gaskets and seals for around $150 shipped. Had a local glass guy do the windshield for another $120. Everything came primered black anyway.. so I just painted it and installed it. Looks good, no more rust.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Dennis , I live just north of you in Brooksville. Can you give me the name of the shop that did your windshield work? I'm putting a Bestop half top on my 92 wrangler and really should replace the frame and all but not enough funds for that. I have the cowl seal and all the other weather stripping and the sealant but kind of Leary of doing it myself. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks again

·
Registered
141 Posts
Windshield glass

If you live in Florida, get you insurance company to call the glass guy. In Florida the insurance company is required to replace the glass if damaged. Just get the frame, paint it, load the wiper and let the glass guy do his thing. I live here also and my glass had a very small crack and I called Allstate, they gave the phone number, the rest is history.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Let me see if I can find it in my notes. I think I found him off Tampa Craigslist.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts