Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

92 YJ Master cylinder displacement

4K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  YJeffrey 
#1 ·
I have an ax15 Trans from a 1992 Wrangler with an internal slave. I'm aware of all the internal slave issues as well as assembly and bleeding. What I can't figure out is the bore diameter and stroke of the Master Cylinder. I can't find any definitive specs.

Please help! I've been struggling for too long. Does anyone know what displacement is needed to disengage the Internal slave???

I would like to use one of the master cylinders at the top of this page: http://www.wilwood.com/Search/PartNoSearch.aspx?q=Compact Remote Reservoir Master Cylinder For reasons...

I really can't find much for specs on the Jeep masters. On rockauto the bore sizes range from 11/16" to 7/8"... I really just need to know how much fluid needs to be displaced for the internal slave.

#2 ·
If you have the old one out, why not simply measure the bore? Harbor Freight has a caliper that would be accurate enough for what you need for $10.00 usually on sale.

Perhaps another parts website has more concise info (ie NAPA or Carquest).

Good Luck, L.M.

#3 ·
Unfortunately I don't have the old one. The rig was an auto.

I used an 11/16" (0.6875) master cylinder the clutch would not disengage. Initially I thought it was bad seals since it was a cheap part, but now I think it wasn't enough displacement.

If I cannot get an answer I'm going to buy the 13/16" bore, but I would be frustrated if that didn't work either.

The largest master cylinder I found for the 92 YJ is a 7/8" bore which someone estimated has a 1.25" stroke. I don't know if that is correct, but it would displace .753 in^3. The 13/16" master I'm looking at displaces .726 in^3 of fluid.

I am guessing the 13/16" will work, but it is still a guess. I'm tired of wasting time and money, and I want to drive the Jeep.

#4 ·
Go to the Jeep dealer and buy an OEM master. At least there is a reasonable expectation that it will work.

Is there any reason you are set on an aftermarket master? My guess is that my clutch master cyl. is 29 years old and still functions as necessary.

Good Luck, L.M.

#5 ·
It's a project I have going. No space for the integrated reservoir of the Jeep master cylinders.

I absolutely have to have a master cylinder with an external reservoir, nothing else will fit.

The drivetrain is complete from a 92 wrangler. From motor to t-case, all pulled out of the same pile of rust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.