Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

81 - 100 of 217 Posts

·
Los Angeles
989 Posts
Truthfully, all I plan on doing is town and trail driving and hunting. Don't think I will jump in it and drive to Tahoe in it (2.5 hrs) Most likely trailer to my hunting area and to the mountains, but drive it all over town.
Seems like so long ago.
When the fever takes hold of a man, it grips him from the inside out.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #82

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Was able to get my spare tire carrier installed today as well as the handles on the roll bar to get in and out.... just Velcro ones for now.

Hope to get the M.O.R.E Brace painted and installed this weekend !!!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Had a chance to get the heavy duty spare tire carrier on, that accommodates 35" tires. Good think too, is my bumper has the hitch extender and the tire rest on top, so there is some benefit of taking the weight off the door and carrier. I will say the carrier is very sturdy.

Also, got the M.O.R.E Steering Brace on and painted!! Great fit, easy install and great insurance against sheering off the power steering box! Not to mention it looks great with the High Steer set up I have!!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Tomorrow I will be replacing my radiator, its old and had been patched on the top around the filler... So I found a new one local....

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Decided to change the oil again, since I had really no history of it from the previous owner, Originally a few weeks ago I did a oil change and went with 5w-30 with the thought of changing it a short time later, just because I am anal like that.

This time I went with High Mileage 10w-40 and the Motorcraft FLA1 filter (Larger capacity, same everything else as the OEM filter specs) Filled the new filter after I put 6 qts in, the filter took just under a 1/2 qt. I know there is not much benefit to the larger filter, but the motorcraft is a good filter, inexpensive and readily available and since more Ford uses them, I have plenty on my garage shelf.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Had a chance to get the heavy duty spare tire carrier on, that accommodates 35" tires. Good think too, is my bumper has the hitch extender and the tire rest on top, so there is some benefit of taking the weight off the door and carrier. I will say the carrier is very sturdy.

Also, got the M.O.R.E Steering Brace on and painted!! Great fit, easy install and great insurance against sheering off the power steering box! Not to mention it looks great with the High Steer set up I have!!

I'd highly recommend you get an actual tire carrier for any tire larger than stock. I have a crack in my swing gate from a 33" spare and my father's yj has a crack in the swing gate from a 31" spare. Also the bushings on the arms wallowed out a bit on both of our jeeps....

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I'd highly recommend you get an actual tire carrier for any tire larger than stock. I have a crack in my swing gate from a 33" spare and my father's yj has a crack in the swing gate from a 31" spare. Also the bushings on the arms wallowed out a bit on both of our jeeps....
I agree, this is temporary until the summer when I can find an actual swing out carrier I want

Reactions: Dunk

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Not knowing when the right tire carrier will come along I decided to temporary mount the farm jack....

Yes, it will take a couple minutes to remove (same for the piece of [email protected]*t thief) but I like the location. Out of the weather in winter and snug inside the tub in the summer..

Used (2) 2 3/4 muffler clamps, two extra 1/2 lock nuts, 2 larger washers & lock washers,

Once I set the height, I had to drill out the hole on the farm jack base to match the u-bolt for the clamp. I just snugged up the clamp, placed the jack in place and then used the level to make it all level. When I got the right height, I just locked the clamp down, added a nut and washer behind the jack base and arm, then added a lock nut and tightened both the top and bottom down... Done

Not the fanciest or ideal... but its cheap, secure and somewhat of a security piece of mind...

inside and rear view

Reactions: YJ94S

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Not a bad place to mount the jack at all, I like it!
Thank you

If I don't get the tire carrier as soon as I plan to, I will swap out to a wing nut set up when I am on the trail...... this way it will be a tad quicker if I need the jack, but I never really anticipate using it.... but the minute you need it and don't have one.... well you know

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Gosh Darn It!!! My inner door latch isn't working, can only open the door from the outside handle.....

Doing to have to open the dang door up and see if I can fix the handle mechanism. Is there any good write ups or OEM kits to rebuild it all?

On a side note, the day was a good day.... the wife and I took a nice ride on the back country roads today!!!!!

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Gosh Darn It!!! My inner door latch isn't working, can only open the door from the outside handle.....
I bet it's the plastic rod clips. I've never found any to be like oem quality so if you find some that last, please let me know.

·
Super Moderator
10,474 Posts
In my '87-'90 parts catalog the only part number that I found that looks like it'll work is #J400 4532.
With that number in mind, check out lock rods on EBAY. There's a $10.00 assortment that should have something that'll work.
Your local auto parts store might have a "Dorman" or "Help" display that has something that can be modified to work.
That's the joy of working on these old heaps. We get to be creative.

As an outside chance, call the dealer and see if that part number updates to a clip that they might have in stock.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: dukcaln

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
In my '87-'90 parts catalog the only part number that I found that looks like it'll work is #J400 4532.
With that number in mind, check out lock rods on EBAY. There's a $10.00 assortment that should have something that'll work.
Your local auto parts store might have a "Dorman" or "Help" display that has something that can be modified to work.
That's the joy of working on these old heaps. We get to be creative.

As an outside chance, call the dealer and see if that part number updates to a clip that they might have in stock.

Good Luck, L.M.
The dorman didn't work for me, the omix-ada/crown didn't work for me and the dealership couldn't find the correct ones. Both times I dissembled my door and put it all back together for the plastic clips and rods to jump out of the hole again. I'm thinking I just need to put a brass bushing in the hole for the rod and thread the rod for a nut.

But if anyone has a working option, I'd really like to know. I'm tired of my interior door panels being off.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Thanks luckymac, using that part number I found the diagram online with the proper clips for my door J400 3672 and J400 3673. That cross referenced to mopar: Driver side 4724215, Pass Side 4724214. Time to go to the stealership!

·
Super Moderator
10,474 Posts
Glad it helped.

Other forum members might write down the numbers that c5wagner mentions, or print the post.
The door handle clips are 22-31 years old and it seems like the plastic "dries out" and becomes brittle, then breaks. It's a common complaint.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Thanks luckymac, using that part number I found the diagram online with the proper clips for my door J400 3672 and J400 3673. That cross referenced to mopar: Driver side 4724215, Pass Side 4724214. Time to go to the stealership!
Please let me know and I will do the same if i have the time do go. :drinks:

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Glad it helped.

Other forum members might write down the numbers that c5wagner mentions, or print the post.
The door handle clips are 22-31 years old and it seems like the plastic "dries out" and becomes brittle, then breaks. It's a common complaint.

Good Luck, L.M.
Luckymac :worthy:

81 - 100 of 217 Posts