Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
put this question on the general discussion forum, but no replies, so I thought I would try this forum....92 yj with 4.0, automatic....seems to run out of gas, cuts off, put in neutral and restart with no problem....happens at any time but more often after a hard right or left turn....gas tank full or at least 3/4 full....any thoughts.....i'm stumped thanks

·
Registered
419 Posts
Has this problem always happened? Just start? etc.

It sounds like your fuel pickup is running dry under extreme turns. I know there is a baffle in there that some people have removed and experienced problems. My guess is you need to drop the tank and have a look inside.

·
Registered
638 Posts
May not be the same thing but....

I work as a Shop Manager of a School Bus Fleet. Couple years ago I had a newer bus do similar issues. Would just quit for no reason but happened 80% of the time after a Right or Left Turn. Didn't do it a LOT but occurred about 3-4x a week. I got tired of messing with the basics so sent it to International (was still under warranty). It took them 3 weeks and a lot of trial and error but they finally found the problem. I cant remember though if it was the Fuel Pump Relay or the Fuel pump itself. Relay is easy, just swap relays with another. Pump on the other hand.......

Hope it helps...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Nothing about a Jeep is unfixable, all that matters is how much, money, or time & money you want to put into it.

Another thing to check is wiring an grounds. It may not be the fuel cutting off, but the spark cutting off.

For successfuly ignition you need, gas + air + spark.

Start with easiest and work towards more difficult. ( air then spark then fuel )
Start at the engine and work outwards.

Sooner or later you will find the problem

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the ideas.....when I figure it out I'll post what I found....by the way, I put unfixable in post to get more attention....my other cars are MG's so I know what it means to have problems......

·
Registered
638 Posts
Thanks for the ideas.....when I figure it out I'll post what I found....by the way, I put unfixable in post to get more attention....my other cars are MG's so I know what it means to have problems......

Good god! Back in '88 I bought my first car..an MG...forget the year. Anyways it had piston slap and I figured what the hell I'll rebuild it. Before I started digging around for a rebuild kit, I found out a USED gas cap was $50! I sold it for the price I bought it for LOL.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts